Discuss Again the dreaded 18th edition additions...AFDDs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

michaelw6

-
Arms
Reaction score
Ive search the forums and cannot find a conclusive answer.
I have been reading my New Regs Book today (Thank you sam400) and the IET BSI changes within BS7671:2018.
Now it says 'chapter 42 protection against thermal effects:- New regulation 421.1.7 recommending installation of arc fault devices. now when you read this regulation is says as above. The AFDD shall be placed at the origin of the circuit to be protected. Example: Premises with sleeping accommodation.
Now that to me would be a domestic dwelling, yet when i ring wholesalers i just get the reply 'Nobodys fitting them! We have no call for them! or Waiting to hear back from supplier!'
Now when it comes to SPD devices they are being pre fitted into consumer units now, even with type A RCDs.(Hager)
Id like to install Schneider but they dont seem to do anything 18th yet.
My Question is Regs say they need to be fitted. Can you get a main one to cover all or should i just fit them to the lighting and sockets where the bedrooms are? or every circuit?
Not fitted any AFDD's myself yet so what do you guys do and what manufacturers do you use?

Ive search the forums and cannot find a conclusive answer.
I have been reading my New Regs Book today (Thank you sam400) and the IET BSI changes within BS7671:2018.
Now it says 'chapter 42 protection against thermal effects:- New regulation 421.1.7 recommending installation of arc fault devices. now when you read this regulation is says as above. The AFDD shall be placed at the origin of the circuit to be protected. Example: Premises with sleeping accommodation.
Now that to me would be a domestic dwelling, yet when i ring wholesalers i just get the reply 'Nobodys fitting them! We have no call for them! or Waiting to hear back from supplier!'
Now when it comes to SPD devices they are being pre fitted into consumer units now, even with type A RCDs.(Hager)
Id like to install Schneider but they dont seem to do anything 18th yet.
My Question is Regs say they need to be fitted. Can you get a main one to cover all or should i just fit them to the lighting and sockets where the bedrooms are? or every circuit?
Not fitted any AFDD's myself yet so what do you guys do and what manufacturers do you use?
The regulations do not say they must be installed, they are only a recommendation,but if installed then they shall be installed at the origin of the circuit that is to be protected, add that to the cost of the product is why nobody is installing them.
I would add that the term sleeping accommodation refers to hotels,HMO’s and the like rather than a domestic dwelling as bs7671 references the term ‘dwellings’ as your typical domestic house

You’d think that someone who can publish a technical document, would also have a reasonable grasp of the English language to phrase descriptions or definitions, so as not to cause a misunderstanding or confusion. Or is that too much of a big ask :cool:

Have you thought about asking the question on the IET's Wiring Regs forum? From the horses mouth and all that? Some of the forum users there are the guys who write the regs. :)

As above, they are a 'recommendation'.
You could give the customer 2 options. One with AFDD's and one without. The one with, stating the advantages of having AFDD's.
Then it is up to the customer to decide.

We had a post about these and John Ward testing them, where he did a rubbish test.
When looking into the details of AFDD's it looks like the current had to be over 2.5A when detecting.
Not sure how what will work out for lighting circuits in modern houses that have all LED lights.

Having spoken to afew electrical engineers about the concept of arc fault circuit interruption, they were all very sceptical about the functionality of these devices.
From what I gather arc fault breakers were introduced into the Nec code due to the amount of extension lead shorts and overload burn outs in America and Canada.
Their leads and plugtops are much more flimsy than ours.

Having spoken to afew electrical engineers about the concept of arc fault circuit interruption, they were all very sceptical about the functionality of these devices.
From what I gather arc fault breakers were introduced into the Nec code due to the amount of extension lead shorts and overload burn outs in America and Canada.
Their leads and plugtops are much more flimsy than ours.

The American electrical supply is 115V single phase with a correspending higher current for the equivalent appliance power rating, so its no surprise that there is a greater chance of the need for a method of arc detection.

I think that once the manufacturers have got to grips with the risks involved in this country where the likelihood is actually quite small compared to other factors then the designs of protective devices may have combined functionality such as RCBO with SPD and AFDD. Until then the regs only recommend the use which stands for very little.

Last edited:

Reply to Again the dreaded 18th edition additions...AFDDs in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock