Discuss Any body managed to get off shore with out compex in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
this has probably been asked many a time so i apologise if this is the case. Just wanted thoughts and opinions on whether you can get onto a rig without compex. doing stuff like running cables tray work etc then company might put you through course.Or is it better to do compex or try get a job onshore doing accomdation cabins and the like. cheers

this has probably been asked many a time so i apologise if this is the case. Just wanted thoughts and opinions on whether you can get onto a rig without compex. doing stuff like running cables tray work etc then company might put you through course.Or is it better to do compex or try get a job onshore doing accomdation cabins and the like. cheers

If as an Electrician, the company would be stark raving mad to employ an electrician that can't legally work on any of it's rigs plant!! lol!!

There was job advertised this we , involved fixing plant, tools and emergency lights for rigs and says was a good opportunity to gain expierienc., didn't ask for the Certs as normal as shore based.

Last edited:
my mate is on a rig in the north sea now , says the weather is crazy , so bad that the container with the materials cannot get delivered so he is sitting about all day everyday and getting payed £40 an hour for it , sounds good but he says its the worse time he has ever had , a £100 an hour wouldn't get me out there

hes not an electrician tho

The vast majority of Jobs for Electricians offshore will ask for Offshore Survival , Offshore Medical , CompEx , and MIST ( Minimum Industry Training Standard)

Can be difficult to get off without compex as there are loads of lads with all the certs you can imagine and still can't get a sniff.

I work for a US company but have been lucky enough not to step foot in the north sea and the first thing they wanted to see was compex and trade papers.

With the amount of new drillships being produce in SK there will be a shortage of skilled sparkies and elec techs to operate them.

- - - Updated - - -

Can be difficult to get off without compex as there are loads of lads with all the certs you can imagine and still can't get a sniff.

I work for a US company but have been lucky enough not to step foot in the north sea and the first thing they wanted to see was compex and trade papers.

With the amount of new drillships being produce in SK there will be a shortage of skilled sparkies and elec techs to operate them.

i got offshore once, but we started taking in water. had to skiddaddle back to harbour before we sank.

You would stand a better chance if you had compex. Once you get it pester the companies til they say yes! I was told by a high ranking member of the oil and gas industry, that there's a good 10 years left to make your money!

Reply to Any body managed to get off shore with out compex in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net