Discuss Approved Document B Fire Safety - 2.9 in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Octopus

So, we have a planning application in to build an extension and we want to have a small office, in the extension, off the corridor. Because the office is facing our boundry fence, and is within 1 metre of the boundry we are not allowed a window above 1m sq.

So the planners have told us that our 2m sq office requires 2 doors, so there is alternative means of escape. So once we have 2 doors and a small desk there won;t be any point in having the office.

This seems very daft to me.

I've also been reviewing the rules for smokes and that is as clear as mud too!

So long as the wall & door onto the hallway are of a 30 min burn rating & the hallway leads directly to an exit you dont need a double exit from the room.
Provisions for escape from the
ground storey

Except for kitchens, all habitable rooms in the ground storey should either:

a.open directly onto a hall leading to the

entrance or other suitable exit;
or

b.be provided with a window (or door) which complies with paragraph 2.8.

Well, as planned the "corridor" also allows access to the dining room, garage and family room.

So 2.8 means the 2nd door is required as I understand it!

Reply to Approved Document B Fire Safety - 2.9 in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Well....wiring in a 1750s thatched cottage attic, not wiring made from thatch 🤪 One we have been letting for over 20 years (as well as enjoying...
Replies
Views
Beware a little long. I served an electrical apprenticeship a long time ago, then went back to full time education immediately moving away from...
Replies
Views
Background is we are selling our house and moving out of state. I've been fixing big and little things and painting for several months now, as...
Replies
Views
I need a fire alarm installing in a house that was converted into flats 30 years ago. It comprises 3 units. Ground floor and basement maisonette...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I have just been sent a spec for a small extension to a nursery school to quote for. I have worked off spec sheets before but have...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock