Discuss are smoke alarms legal requirement in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mike Bolger

Hi everyone

I've been asked to rewire a big period house and the owner has stipulated absolutely no smoke alarms!
I have argued the case for them and was unsure if these are a legal requirement or could these be left out of the installation on his say so.

Can anyone shed some light ?

If there are planners involved then you are led by their recommendations in my experience. Personally at the very least I would want to install a product like the fire angel which has a 10 yr battery. Odd request though!

smoke alarms are mandatory in all domestic properties built since 1992. for older houses, all you can do is to advise the customer. if he don't want them, he don't need to have them, legally, but make a note on your cert. that smoke alarms are not fitted as per customer's instuctions. best to get him to sign something to that effect, so that if he has a fire, the poo hits his fan, not yours.

Is the rewire the only work being carried out ? Usually a large refurb involving building work requires smokes to be fitted. As a general rule if building control are involved then smokes will be fitted, and this will be stipulated by the BC officer.

Tel's idea of a disclaimer is a good one. Lunacy not to want to install a smoke system on a rewire.

Not much refurb happening so no building control involved. Mainly decor.
I think it's crazy not to put them in but he is concerned about spoiling the look of the period ceiling

I think it's crazy not to put them in but he is concerned about spoiling the look of the period ceiling
Of course a fire will have no detrimental effect on his period features will it? I think the guy needs his head examined but as others have said, you can only recommend.
Make sure you CYA though

Maybe you should recommend that the necessary cabling is run in as part of your works then they could be added easily later.

I have to say that adding smokes should be MANDATED on full rewires - JMO.

People have no choice when i do it dont care if the dont want them they get them simple as ,too many people die in house fires , even if its just covering the kitchen and escape routes, bungalow hallway and kitchen, 2 3 bedroom house landing hall kitchen , , i do find sparks round here tend to use ionization detectors , no they should be optical/ heat , unless they are in bedrooms when ionization can be installed

People have no choice when i do it dont care if the dont want them they get them simple as ,too many people die in house fires , even if its just covering the kitchen and escape routes, bungalow hallway and kitchen, 2 3 bedroom house landing hall kitchen , , i do find sparks round here tend to use ionization detectors , no they should be optical/ heat , unless they are in bedrooms when ionization can be installed

Probably a bit of ignorance and the fact that they are the cheapest normally!

Why cant they install a proper dedicated fire alarm system - the detectors are then alot less visually intrusive than the mains alternatives and all wired back to one panel. We had similar with a large barn renovation a few years ago and this was the end result.

Reply to are smoke alarms legal requirement in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net