Discuss Bathroom Pull Swith in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

NeilRob

-
DIY
Reaction score
Found when removing bathroom light pull cord switch for re plastering there was only one screw holding it to the ceiling as the joist is close to the wall, when re fitting to the ceiling one screw will go back into the joist is it ok to just place a piece of wood above the hole on the plasterboard above or screw a block onto the joist for extra strength.

one proper screw into the wood and one wall plug+screw into plasterboard usually does the job. Or rotate it a bit and fix to the wood with both mounting holes.
Or even better, as you having some work done, have it replaced with a wall switch by the bathroom door. Pull cords are disgusting.

Easiest to use a plasterboard fixing for the free screw.
You can fix a wood block above the plasterboard but you want it to be fixed in place as they are a nightmare to reconnect when not fixed.
Either glue at each end pass through hole and pull down onto ceiling and allow to set, or small screws through plasterboard into block and fill over screw holes.
A block screwed to the joist to extend out to the screw position would be OK but difficult to do unless you have access above.

Reply to Bathroom Pull Swith in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I'm installing smart modules in my light switches which means I need to replace the existing 25mm back boxes with 47mm ones. Downstairs all walls...
Replies
Views
I need your help please once again in tracing a fault. Am DIY but not clueless. Converting former kitchen into 2 rooms: bathroom and laundry. The...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm looking for some advice for adding a time delay on my parent's shower room fan. My parents had a section of their garage converted into a...
Replies
Views
Hi All, Wondering if I can get some advice. Basically I’m having exposed joist ceilings in my house and I’m in the process of slowly changing all...
Replies
Views
Hello I have an old timed extractor fan in the bathroom which has stopped working. It has 3 wires which are black, brown and grey. I believe that...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock