Discuss board change and cable length? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

phabpixs

Got to do a board change 7 ways currently, but existing cables have been left short as earths on new unit on right hand side instead of left! what is the best/ legitimate way of extending them? main earth & bonding will also need extending!

Got to do a board change 7 ways currently, but existing cables have been left short as earths on new unit on right hand side instead of left! what is the best/ legitimate way of extending them? main earth & bonding will also need extending!
Cirmp join them will be fine, a bit of heatshrink would'nt go a miss either but you can't extend the main earth and bonding they have to be a continuous length so they need renewing

I would have thought solder etc for main bonding would be ok if nightmare to renew, or use external MET at whatever point old bonding reaches.

You would probably find that an interuption would increase the resistance over 0.05 although the earth terminal block idea would be ok, i was just taught to keep them all one continuous length:)

you can't extend the main earth and bonding they have to be a continuous length so they need renewing

You need to make your own mind up as only you know the site you are working on. Yes it would be nice to just replace the main bond but in a lot of cases this is just not possible because of decoration etc etc. If you do extend it then it should be a permenant joint such as a through crimp.

Just a footnote.

You can also use one earth bond cable to do both gas and water or other services as long as it is unbroken, you can though cut the cable at the first bonding point if both ends are then put into a lug, therefore if it does get removed then the other services do not get disconnected

Reply to board change and cable length? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net