Discuss British Standards vs CE equipment in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

luzippu

Hi, can I install light switches in my home if the've been bought outside of the UK? They don't have a British Standards mark on them.
The make is bticino, made in italy, CE marked, 16A 250V.

moreover, would these be covered in case of insurance claim, being CE and not BS approved?

thank you
paul

Hi, can I install light switches in my home if the've been bought outside of the UK? They don't have a British Standards mark on them.
The make is bticino, made in italy, CE marked, 16A 250V.

moreover, would these be covered in case of insurance claim, being CE and not BS approved?

thank you
paul

As long as it has a CE mark on it your OK, CE mark is the symbol used for Europe under harmonisation.

As far as I am aware in order to be allowed to place the BS Kite mark on manufactured equipment, a company needs to be inspected regularly by them and show that the equipment is built and tested to their standards. They are then given permission to apply the mark to their product.

With the CE mark you do not need anyones permission to apply the mark, or require regular assessments by a governing body. Instead its like a self declaration by the manufacturer to say their product meets European standards.

I suppose it is possible to purchase counterfeit BS Kitemark items unknowingly, but I would imagine it more probable that a sub-standard item could carry the CE mark.

Thats my understanding anyway

As far as I am aware in order to be allowed to place the BS Kite mark on manufactured equipment, a company needs to be inspected regularly by them and show that the equipment is built and tested to their standards. They are then given permission to apply the mark to their product.

With the CE mark you do not need anyones permission to apply the mark, or require regular assessments by a governing body. Instead its like a self declaration by the manufacturer to say their product meets European standards.

I suppose it is possible to purchase counterfeit BS Kitemark items unknowingly, but I would imagine it more probable that a sub-standard item could carry the CE mark.

Thats my understanding anyway

that correct because there where a load of Chinese counterfit Square D MCB's not so long back.

Reply to British Standards vs CE equipment in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net