Discuss bs7671 in Ireland?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Myles

-
Reaction score
My parents are building a house in Ireland, but the architects drawings make no mention of BS7671 under the electrical spec. I was thinking of going over there to do at least 1st fix for them.

Does anyone know if the 17th holds weight in Ireland, or in fact any other countries at all?? Or will there always be different regulatory exams to pass for each different country?? I have 17th, C+G 2 and 3.

Cheers,
Myles

Its southern Ireland btw :)

Last edited:
Probably only in NI.

Other places probably have their own regs, which you may have to learn.

7671 is only in the UK. AFAIK.

Oooops decided to open my eyes and wake up BS 7671 covers England Wales Scotland and Northern Ireland but not Southern Ireland.

Back off to sleep now

Chris

bs7671 isnt officially used in the republic but they more or less steal the UK's ideas. workmanship is still generally very good.

You will have problems getting your house connected.
If you do not have the right to self-certify (Be a member of RECI or ECSSA) then you will have to get an inspector in to test the house for you, apart from the fee (approx €350) you will need to show him you carry Irish accepted public liability insurance.
Its also important to note that Irish earthing standards are miles ahead of UK standards and require equipotential cages in all bathroomsand RCBO's for individual showersand bathroom lighting circuits. There has been a move away from ring socket circuits lately and now radial socket circuits are preferred. You will need 2 seperate circuits for the kitchen, and 1 circuit for two rooms throughout the rest of the house. All houses in Ireland are TNCS and so require an earthing rod.

Thanks for all the replies.

Bazza, if Ireland is mostly Tncs surely I would be earthed to neutral not earthing rod?? Do you mean TT??

Cheers,
Myles

No, TNCS.
Neutral and Earth are combined at the pole IIRC. I usually run a 16sq earth to the rod and 10sq to the hotpress. 2,5sq earth from the board to each bathroom and one from the board to the kitchen sink. It used to be acceptable to run the kitchen sink earth back to the nearest socket, but sine they done away with ring circuits, it has to go back to the board now.

No, TNCS.
Neutral and Earth are combined at the pole IIRC. I usually run a 16sq earth to the rod and 10sq to the hotpress. 2,5sq earth from the board to each bathroom and one from the board to the kitchen sink. It used to be acceptable to run the kitchen sink earth back to the nearest socket, but sine they done away with ring circuits, it has to go back to the board now.
The ESB (southern ireland REC) uses a neutralizing earth system which is identical to the PME protective muliple earthing system TN-CS which is used in the UK recs. the link between Neutral and earth is done at the cut-out position and not the pole. ESB also provide an isolator at meter position for customer tails to be installed by electrician. A spike must also be provided by spark and as far as i know 10sq earth is acceptable but 16sq obviously better.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
The ESB (southern ireland REC) uses a neutralizing earth system which is identical to the PME protective muliple earthing system TN-CS which is used in the UK recs. the link between Neutral and earth is done at the cut-out position and not the pole. ESB also provide an isolator at meter position for customer tails to be installed by electrician. A spike must also be provided by spark and as far as i know 10sq earth is acceptable but 16sq obviously better.:)

Yes. ESB will not make the final connection to the house.Only bring power to the meter cabinet.
Another point to remember is that the cabinet must be mounted on the front wall of the house or within 2 possibly 3 meters of the front wall on the side of the house.

BAz. When I was doing some work for Commisioner of Irish L:ights the lads there said it would be difficult if not impossible to do or get work without having served an apprenticeship in spite of having the relevent UK quals. True or Bluff?

Yes. ESB will not make the final connection to the house.Only bring power to the meter cabinet.
Another point to remember is that the cabinet must be mounted on the front wall of the house or within 2 possibly 3 meters of the front wall on the side of the house.
Also keep in mind that box should be between 1-1.2m to bottom of box from finished ground level and have customer tails only coming in bottom right hand side and have no holes around side or top of box as i know from experience that ESB have tightened up a lot on standards for OMBs:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Also keep in mind that box should be between 1-1.2m to bottom of box from finished ground level and have customer tails only coming in bottom left hand side and have no holes around side or top of box as i know from experience that ESB have tightened up a lot on standards for OMBs:)

Do you hate them too?

With the unbridled passion of 100 wild horses. They are all living in fantasy land and dont understand how the real world works at all.:mad:

Total law unto themselves.
2 Yeas ago I needed a connection in the run up to Christmas, they told me it would take 16 weeks. But after €500 of 'donations' I had it that afternoon. I really really really hate them.

Thanks again everyone.

I have contacted ECSSA (one of the regulatory bodies) who have given the following reply if anyone else is interested:

Hi Myles.
Your qualifications will be acceptable in this country, however you should
be aware that all electrical installation work must comply with the National
Rules for Electrical Installations, Fourth Edition ET 101:2008, an ETCI
publication (ETCI = Electro-Technical Council of Ireland).
If you wish to set up as a contractor you must join one of the two licensed
regulatory bodies, ourselves ECSSA or RECI.
I hope this information is of help to you, should you need further
clarification please do not hesitate to contact me.
Regards.

Liam McHale.
Assistant Technical Manager.

I am going to get back to them and ask if they have any particular exam for the ET 101 like we have exam for 17th.

Its €300 to register with them for a year as long as you provide proof of insurance and proof of qualifications (in my case 2330 2+3 and 17th)

Cheers,

Myles

I know a scottish contractor who had to rewire a well known optician in Dublin in 2001. Once it was all don the inspector failed the lot as it was in Uk colours not the now harmonized coulours. He did say apart from that it was fine. He ended up redoing it all.:D

Reply to bs7671 in Ireland?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock