Discuss Guide to City and Guilds 2330 level 2. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mr Curnow

To start off I will introduce all the exams you will have to take for this course, I haven't passed it yet but I know what they want from you.This may be different from what you're actually doing, I heard the 204 is luminaire and 3 phase testing but I have been told at college it was like this. I only have the 206 practical left, it's my last chance to pass if not I'm screwed.

Contents:

The exams.

201 online
202 online
203 online
204 practical preparation
205 online
206 practical exam (bay in a day)
Voltage testing

Where and how should I revise?

On site guide: BS7671 2008 17th edition.
Basic electrical installation work: level 2 city and guilds 2330 technical certificate.

My advice.

Let's start.

Exams

The first two exams you will have is the 201 and the 202 online exams, in my opinion these are quite easy but you still need to put in the work. You should take them both on the same day.

201 online exam - working effectively and safely in the electrotechnical environment.
202 online exam - principles of electrotechnology

Next you will take the 203 and 205 online exams, again these aren't too hard, if you've revised the whole year on the books I am going to mention in a minute you will be fine.

203 online exam - Application of health and safety and electrical principles.
205 online exam - Installation (buildings and structures)

The online exams are obviously sat on computers, they are multiple choice. A,B,C,D and I think they have about 20 or 30 questions, hard to remember.

204 exam - practical preparation.

You'll need to describe the safe isolation procedure, I think this is right.

1. Firstly test that the supply for power, place one lead of the tester on the neutral and the other on line.
2. Turn off the supply mains switch.
3. Place a warning sign on the switch to notify others, if they managed to turn it on then your life is at risk.
4. Lock the supply off.
5. Keep the key in your pocket, you don't want someone having access to the switch again putting your life at risk.
6. Test the supply is dead, test between the Neutral + Line, Earth + Line then the Earth + Neutral.
7. Finally prove that the test lamp is working with the proving unit.

Next you'll need to write down all your materials list, can't help you with this one the installations vary.

Write down the tools you'll be using.

Write down the safety equipment and why you need it.

Steel toe cap boots - to protect feet from falling objects.
Ear defenders - to protect ears when drilling into walls.
Safety goggles - to protect eyes when drilling into walls.
Signs - to show that people are working on the installation.

The wiring diagrams, again can't help you as every installation is different.

206 practical exam.

Bay in a day, well it's not actually a day it's about 9 or 10 hours. You lose a lot of points when you don't terminate your cables tight, make them really tight about 4 points each. They are really picky on this exam.

You'll need to actually carry out the safe isolation procedure so just remember what I say from the above.

Continuity of live conductors.

This means the line and neutral a live wire is one that carries electricity don't confuse with line (brown). Neutral is live aswell.

You connect line + neutral at the consumer unit, set the tester to ohms to test the last part of the circuit, the accessory which is the furthest away, test between line + neutral terminal.

A good reading is a low reading if it's something like 1000 ohms your circuit is not broken.

Continuity of CPC.

There are two test methods for this one, choose test method 1, this also proves polarity.

Connect line + earth at the consumer unit, set the test to ohms to test the lastpart of the circuit, the accessory which is the furthest away, test between line + earth terminal.

Insulation resistance.

Set your tester to 1000V, then at the consumer unit test with crocodile clips on your test leads test between line + neutral, line + earth, neutral+ earth.

We want a reading of greater than 2000M ohms, it should come up on your tester >1000M, if so success :D

Books

Basic electrical installations by trevor linsley.

It's a very good book, you should buy it and start revising as soon as you can, it covers everything on the theory side. Basic Electrical Installation Work: Level 2 City & Guilds 2330 Technical Certificate: Amazon.co.uk: Trevor Linsley: Books

On site 17th edition is mandatory, but make sure that a new one isn't just about to come out, because if it does then you've just wasted money.

My advice

Start revising early, don't be cocky, if you find that you are struggling with the practical either ask your tutor if you can have extra practice. Take lots of notes especially when it comes to writing your materials list for the practical preparation. And buy the Basic electrical installations by trevor linsley, it's a life saver seriously good deal. Put lots of work in, like anything in life.

Good Luck!

If I have missed anything out then please tell me people, and if you like this guide then please show your appreciation as this did take me a while to write this, maybe this can even be an important thread as loads of people start off with city and guilds.

Hey im going to do my 201 and 202 next week, but as i am doing a distance learning course i dont really talk to the tutor. are there any areas i should look at in particular for these exams i have done some practice papers and average 70percent on both papers. i know its a pass but obviously want to do a bit better? can you help?
Thankyou!! :)

Hey im going to do my 201 and 202 next week, but as i am doing a distance learning course i dont really talk to the tutor. are there any areas i should look at in particular for these exams i have done some practice papers and average 70percent on both papers. i know its a pass but obviously want to do a bit better? can you help?
Thankyou!! :)

I recommend you sepak to your Tutor and ask for some revision information, you paid top dollar for this course right? Who you training with ?

I recommend you sepak to your Tutor and ask for some revision information, you paid top dollar for this course right? Who you training with ?

a college in bristol, and yeah i paid top dollar! basically i emailed him and he is out of office at the minute for a few days so i was just starting to revise but seeing as though there is so much to look at i was hoping to get a head start?

2 Books I recommend Electrical Installations Level 2 and Level 3 books by Heinemann. Don't wait until level 3 to get the level 3 book, it has a lot of stuff on things covered in level 2. They can also be found in most college libraries

Electrical Installations Level 2 2330 Technical Certificate Student Book - Revised edition: Level 2 Student Book: Amazon.co.uk: Mr Nigel Harman, Mr Dave Allen, Mr John Blaus, Mr Brian Tucker: Books

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electrical-...r_1_14?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354189788&sr=1-14

This is a good book for inspection and testing for level 3 and beyond

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practical-Inspection-Certification-Electrical-Installation/dp/185617607X/ref=pd_sim_b_10

The exams are easy for the 2330, you can find past papers here on the forum and through google. Most of the questions are the same, or very similar throughout the years from a relatively small bank of questions.

Hello mate am new to this forum and I know this reply is 2 years late but here we go am gona be paying to do my electrical installation level 2 am self employed sparks mate with no qualification just experience, how did you get on with the technical & were did you do your NVQ, can you do your NVQ at colleges these days. I noticed your post was 2011 so its interesting to know how far you have got now in the Industry. Thought your post excellent mate.

Yeah I'm still doing my 2330, got the last few bits to do now, its a slow process because I'm doing it at a distance an have to wait until the college do 'exam days' where they have people in to do the exams online.. Still waiting to find out about my practicals, but I signed up for an NVQ with a company in blackburn. I did this because the new 2357 that has come in includes sections on renewables an green energy an as I hadn't done anything on this before I would have had to go back an do the 2330 equivalent level 2 an 3 modules to be able to do the 2357 NVQ.
The 2330 NVQ is being phased out an 31 dec 12 was the last registration date. Anyone registered by this date has now 2 yrs to complete the course and become qualified.
If you do distnace learning be warned it is a slow process and very hard to get motivated. Units 201 an 202 are pretty straight forward, 203 is building on these two units so pretty straightforward also. 205 is a little harder but only if you don't work to understand things. Don't just read the books, you have to understand why things work an ask questions of ur employers!!
Hope this helps, good luck

Hello mate thanks for your reply
I've been a sparks mate for about 5 years and as u no am looking to do my level 2+3 theres a place in liverpool were am from called In Phase Training have u heard of them am thinking of paying them to do my courses they are asking rediculas prices but I don't want to do any online distance courses. is it possible to do the complete course at these centres e.g Theory RVQ and NVQ or would i have to do my NVQ at work as am self-employed work comes when work comes it's not, would you advice I take pictures of my work while am at work, for when I start college. I Could do with someone explaining step by step intro to level 2. To be honest I don't think i want to be a spark am happy with being an Installer I would also like to do my Part P working on domestic dwellings.

Well the NVQ is not theory based it's to prove that you are competent in working as an Electrician. You make site diaries covering things such as health and safety and different types of wiring systems.

Hi!
I need to complete 2330-202 and 2330-203 however i finished my college years ago. Can someone please advise if i can just complete these particular modules ?
Regards
Nicholas

Hi!
I need to complete 2330-202 and 2330-203 however i finished my college years ago. Can someone please advise if i can just complete these particular modules ?
Regards
Nicholas
Approach your local college and see if they offer the modern day equivalents (2365 @Level 2, 8202 @ level 3).

What I would advise first is to go the city and guilds website and get the qualification handbook and see if either course contains an RPL clause (recognition of prior learning), if they don't it means you're starting from scratch again.

There are private providers that offer the same courses but you'd still be stumped if the qualification itself doesn't have an RPL clause.

If the courses DO have an RPL element then you'd need to talk to the training provider to draw up a learning plan (it might be you only go in on days that are covering (as version of) the modules you're missing. It won't result in a complete 2330 but, if administrated correctly will result in a complete 2365/8202.

Give this video a watch as you may not have what you think you should have.

Reply to Guide to City and Guilds 2330 level 2. in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net