Discuss Cable calcs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

snowplough

Hi Guys,

If i remember rightly, when doing cable calcs , first you work out the design current , say it was 47a, then you take it upto the nearest fuse size 50a, then look in tables to find correct cable csa.
Going on the above scenario ,say it was ref method c , page 131 O.S.G gives you a csa 0f 10mm square, if im reading correct .

At 46a it is 6mm square just outside .

Regards

Locket

Cheers Malcolmsandford,

Reason i asked the question is because on a part p course im on at the momment tutor asked us to work that scenario out above for 47amp, when i gave the answer as 10mm cable with a 50 amp breaker he said i was incorrect, he said it wouold be a 45a breaker with a 6mm cable. I was shown at college to go upoto the nearest breaker size ,then choose the corraect cable size as i did above. i thought In is equal to or greater then Ib as i was shown .

Regards

Locket

on site guide is good for learning, even section that you follow and gives a distance to stay within and vd and efli all buit in think around pg 58-9

Cheers I=P\U

Thanks for clarification, ijust wondered why the tutor who seems very experieced would have dropped it down to 45a breaker and used 6mm cable it dosent measure upto what ive been taught , am i missing something

Regards

Locket

6mm will carry 47 if clipped direct, not buried under insulation. a 45A MCB will be happy at 47A, but thats pushing it a bit. suppose the cable were running a shower and a few meters were in the attic, then a mountain of itchy-poo was laid over it. i would be inclined to use 10mm to be on the safe side.

Cheers Telextrix,

That may be the case through experience as nodoubtyou have but for anovice like me sticking to what ive been taught and using the tables it gives me a 50a breaker with a 10mm cable, what is the point of using the tables if it can be minipulated.

Regards

Locket

i always say, if in doubt, go bigger option. better to under run cables and MCBs than over run. it's like your car. if you thrash it at 5-6000 revs all the time , it won't last as long as if you treat it sensibly.

Reply to Cable calcs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net