Discuss Can a standard plug be put on this....m in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Got this viper shop vac from a friend. It has a 1@0v plug on it...is it possible to get it to work at standard plug ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-12-31-11-13-12-139_com.distilledmedia.adverts.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 46
I’m presuming you’re saying it’s got a European plug on it?

From the specs it looks good to run on our voltage over here.

you can get permanent plug ? adapters that will make it usable in a UK socket outlet, it may be better if it’s moulded on. The Mrs has got one on some hair straighteners she picked up in Germany.

What plug does it have exactly at the moment? Can you post a pic?

There's no obvious reason that it should have a 110V plug as it's 230V only. So the question is whether the motor has been changed to a 110V version for site use, in which case it would self-destruct on 230V.

Although it won't be that converter exactly, as the CEE7/16 Europlug is only rated to 2.5A so the cleaner won't have one of those.

E2A, @jdmgriffin what do you mean by 'standard plug?' 13A or 16A?
(OP is in Ireland)

My money is on it being the blue round 230v plug and the op is confusing it with the yellow 110v plug.

Can you post a picture of the existing plug?

My money is on it being the blue round 230v plug and the op is confusing it with the yellow 110v plug.

I never even thought of that, I just saw Denmark on the data plate and assumed it had a European plug on it.

what a numpty I am. ?

What plug does it have exactly at the moment? Can you post a pic?

There's no obvious reason that it should have a 110V plug as it's 230V only. So the question is whether the motor has been changed to a 110V version for site use, in which case it would self-destruct on 230V.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-12-31-12-39-12-307_com.distilledmedia.adverts.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 34
Looking at the rating plate and info on the internet I would say it's a 230 volt model. Unless someone's swapped the motor for a 110 volt unit.

Confusing! Supposedly 230V European appliance with 110V plug on. Do you have access to a 110V tool transformer? If so, you could plug it in, see if the motor delivers a healthy suction in which case it's probably had a 110V motor put in. If it's slow and underpowered, somebody has been silly and put the wrong plug on, and you can safely change it to a 230V plug.

Reply to Can a standard plug be put on this....m in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net