Discuss caning the Electrical Trainee in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Evening Mike

Evening Glenn, I had a Electrical Trainee working with me all day today, I wrote a lovely piece on it as well and this site then crashed all my work, so I am sulking for the rest of the evening now :grin:

I try to copy and paste if I do similar I have had it happen to me and caused me to royally throw my toys out of the pram

To the op,that is the best description of the Electrical Trainee scam i have read.These schemes are just preying on desperate and gullible people and making our industry more unsafe

Yes I should of Fella, basically the short version was I had a lad who paid 6k for a 5 week course turn up on a large commercial job today, an agency sent him, it was his first ever day on site and he got a white plastic credit sized card with his name, picture and one word written on it for his 6k outlay, it said "electric" and the word was in bold red, he was a smashing lad, but 6k, come-on what are these skill centres doing to these kids, it is criminal, if I get the energy back I may rewrite my experience with him today and repost, my enthusism isn't high enough yet though for a re-type lol.

Mike can you draft it up on your laptop/pc then upload to forum.

What was this card he had? Was it like a CSCS card or just something the training centre had knocked up themselves?
Hi-Adam, no idea what the card was mate, I have never seen one before, it was I think from the skill centre he took a course with, it didn't say CSCS on it, just "ELECTRIC" and I told him I had never seen one of those, he didn't look impressed either when I told him I only reconised a gold card, nice lad, smashing lad in fact but a million miles away from being a spark, yet his course suggests he is and he was sent to the site from an agency lol

It might be a card to identify which department he was in at the training centre , I suppose they might have other scamming sections as well , like plumbing , HGV driving or even the Driving Instructor scam dept ..

Yes I should of Fella, basically the short version was I had a lad who paid 6k for a 5 week course turn up on a large commercial job today, an agency sent him, it was his first ever day on site and he got a white plastic credit sized card with his name, picture and one word written on it for his 6k outlay, it said "electric" and the word was in bold red, he was a smashing lad, but 6k, come-on what are these skill centres doing to these kids, it is criminal, if I get the energy back I may rewrite my experience with him today and repost, my enthusism isn't high enough yet though for a re-type lol.

If it was a Part P course Mike, he shouldn't be offering himself up for commercial work as (like me) he wouldn't have the knowledge or experience to deal with it.

Now... if you took me along with you one day on a house re-wire, I'd be asking you at lunctime 'Wheres the next house?" :wink_smile:

I agree that the short courses have a place for the people who have had the skills for being an electrician for years but not the bit of paper. But the blame should be shared by the training centres AND the people wanting to do these get rich short courses. They are adults after all and they are not being forced to do them. Just putting the blame on the training centres is like me blaming McDonald's for making me fat! :smilewinkgrin:

Jay

Personally I don't think the short courses have any place other than for qualified electricians updating their qualifications I.E. a 17th edition course or the additional C&G 23XX courses and exams. These add on courses have been mis-sold for far to long and the C&G are not policing their own rules effectively on course and exam eligibility

That is a very good point, I have held an class 1 lgv for over 20years, just passed my medical, because I wanted to keep it going, BUT without the drivers CPC (blue card) which all drivers need now by September this year (dead line) it is worthless.!! Just one BIG scam.

And there is another scam the driver CPC can you be the first to tell me what it actually achieves requiring a driver does 35 hours training every 5 years to keep his licence

Perhaps it might be an idea to start by kicking the Ars*s of the scam providers who are all too rapidly proclaiming themselves as governing bodies of the trade, who welcome Electrical Trainee with open arms, take their money and appoint them "17th edition part P fully qualified electricians"
NIC for example

Well how do you prove or quantify competence in an assessment lasting a few hours without any core electrical qualification that is the biggest failing of the schemes and the training companies are exploiting this and the recent developments are set to continue the status quo after the scams circumvented the select committee and lobbied the government minister directly to get what they wanted

Its all money first, skills take back seat, that's not how it used to be.!! The real crux is far too may adults trying to break into the industry, so the training providers are rubbing their hands, and promising the earth, that's how I see it through my narrow glazzies.

The industry is being sold as an easy access industry these days the 5 year slog is now sold as 5 weeks and it's only a few wires what can be so difficult "microwave" course. The difficulty is reflected in the simplicity of some of the questions asked on this forum which should be core knowledge.
I suspect that without the internet and forums like this one this quick training would fail miserably as there would be no easy access to answers for the questions that the graduates of the short courses need to ask to expand their limited knowledge

If it was a Part P course Mike, he shouldn't be offering himself up for commercial work as (like me) he wouldn't have the knowledge or experience to deal with it.

Now... if you took me along with you one day on a house re-wire, I'd be asking you at lunctime 'Wheres the next house?" :wink_smile:
I wouldn't rewire a house Steve, I am past that now, I would sub it out, also I am now into maintenance and the job I am currently on is my last ever construction Job, Planned perventive maintenance and fault finding on motors and air con systems as well as UPs systems and customer after care is my future Job plans, I have had enough of the construction industry I have been in it as a boy from 1980 and it is time to take things a little easier by using my head more and less hands on fella.

I wouldn't rewire a house Steve, I am past that now, I would sub it out, also I am now into maintenance and the job I am currently on is my last ever construction Job, Planned perventive maintenance and fault finding on motors and air con systems as well as UPs systems and customer after care is my future Job plans, I have had enough of the construction industry I have been in it as a boy from 1980 and it is time to take things a little easier by using my head more and less hands on fella.
You will have a white smock and a clipboard next Mike!!

Exactly,I saw that,now we maybe need to educate these poor souls not to waste their money going down this fast track route,save them the heartache and put the robbers out of business.

... either the regulation need tightening up or people need to stop buying fast track courses. We can campaign and petition for better regulation, and we can tell people that in most situations a fast track course is not the right option, in a two-pronged attack.

From personal experience, you'll be pleased to hear that in some respects you're succeeding. :)

I just typed a big reply for this thread with something I experienced today and it disappeared, won't bother in future the site is flooked

:( Sorry to hear that, Mike. Ctrl-A, ctrl-C, (and for good measure, open Notepad and ctrl-V), THEN post. When/if it all goes bottom up, you've got a copy to paste whenever/wherever you like...

Ooh, multiquote. Get me! ;)

he shouldn`t be offering himself up for any work as he WONT BE COMPETENT

Everyone and his dog knows that an electrician is a tradesman, and that tradesmen need to do a 3 /4 year apprenticeship/training course!! Anyone that is daft enough to think that it can be done in 17 days/5 weeks deserves to have his money taken off him. The real truth of the matter is, that these guy's (gal's) know full well that these courses are a BACK DOOR into the electrical industry. Most won't even have the basic ability in math to even have a hope in hell of becoming an electrician....

So sorry i don't have much sympathy for these people at all.

I opened this thread, expecting (hoping) too see a picture of the thread title...

Man, what a come down - intellictual coversastion, im out!

Really given opinion on this a dozen times...but you can blame whomever suits,but the situation is merely a result of market forces working between directives. This,we know,has, and will occur regardless. Self-cert mortgages,endowments,PPI,every fifth tax avoidance scheme,cavity wall tie inspections/guarantees,pay-day loans etc etc get the picture? Today i was talking to a nice 40something lady who is a livery on a pals yard. She did beauty therapy for two years when she was 17.She is doing a two day course on Botox and will then be injecting the local wrinkly wanna-be's. I wonder if her training card will just say "Beauty" on it,and give her customers the reassurance that their facial nerve will be missed......I have,and will continue to have the same ideology on this matter,tickets,qualifications,training,experience and "club" membership mean nowt. You are either competent,or you are not,the end.

Reply to caning the Electrical Trainee in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net