Discuss Capacitive Inductance in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

PS I think Grommit you may be onto something with the different earth potentials, one of the things I'm taking with me is a stake and once I've checked for all other faults, I had thought just to take L+N from the house, use two RCD spurs and they can run as a TT system down by the pool.
Lucien seems to have written out the capacitance idea, grabbing at straws really, so two different potentials does seem the most logical way to look at it.

Did you check the continuity of ALL the cores and the wire armour before doing the IR?

Too many people do R1 + R2 , but few seem to do Rn + R2 ...... which can be very revealing

onto something with the different earth potentials

Seems unlikely. The RCD can't sense earth potentials, only the imbalance between line and neutral currents, two conductors that you claim are effectively insulated from earth.

If there is a difference, there is leakage, but it matters not where the leakage takes place or where it goes; The circuit's own CPC, another earth near neutral potential, a rogue 'earth' at some other potential, another circuit's neutral. It can be inward leakage from another circuit's line to the protected circuit's neutral, or even into its line from another line on a different phase. Any or all of these combine to give a particular figure for imbalance which is what the RCD detects. A few volts difference between one leakage 'destination' and another won't affect that total more than a gnat's.

As Lucien explains, the only way the RCD could trip is if there is a current path from L or N to earth, that's all the RCD can detect. The problem is investigating the fault when the RCD trips right away.

From your first post, all is well with the CPC connected with sheath isolated, but the RCD trips when the sheath is connected to earth, is that correct? It's weird that should happen while you can't find any leakage with the meter at (say) 500V sheath-L, but that must be where the current is going (also possibly sheath-N).

You could try connecting the sheath to the CPC through a 10k
Ω resistor, value isn't critical but it should be rated at 500V+ and be large enough to avoid tripping the RCD. That would let you check the circuit under fault conditions without losing the supply. You may get an indication of what's going on by measuring the voltage across the resistor. 230V would mean a low resistance sheath-L. A small voltage could indicate low resistance sheath-N which could be confirmed by disconnecting N from the supply, when the voltage would drop to zero.

I have to say I am very much with Murdoch's line of reasoning at the moment. Have you with 100% certainty identified the conductors throughout, and proven that the core connected to the armour is indeed the CPC and not actually the neutral due to a discrepancy in labelling at the two ends?

Reply to Capacitive Inductance in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock