Discuss car fuses automotive in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
heard a story about some random town in middle east with the army. anyways they were using a house as some sort of forward base or whatever . so bascially alot of these engineers need to think on there feet so this house had main fuses gone is 220v there and one of them manage to rig in a 30a blade fuse from a car.

Standard ATO blade fuses are normally rated for 1000A breaking capacity at 32V DC maximum. Using them at mains voltage is little better than a very short piece of open fuse wire. The lack of silica powder that is part of every high breaking capacity mains fuse means that the arc will continue for much longer between the two closely spaced contacts. Personally if I had to jury-rig a fuse for 230V mains duty under duress I would be more inclined to find a suitable piece of wire a few inches long than a blade fuse. A Maxi blade would give a greater arc length but still has no way to rapidly extinguish and dissipate the fault energy.

heard a story about some random town in middle east with the army. anyways they were using a house as some sort of forward base or whatever . so bascially alot of these engineers need to think on there feet so this house had main fuses gone is 220v there and one of them manage to rig in a 30a blade fuse from a car.

I bet they still talk about the ingenuity of it whilst sat around the camp fire.

Reply to car fuses automotive in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

This is quite lengthy so get comfy... I had a bizarre call out relating to a job I attended about five years ago. The situation was they were...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone my name is Tarek, i work as a concert and show lighting operator with over 20 years of experience in this field, so i have gained...
Replies
Views
I am attracted to engines and generators and I want to know how the life of an Automotive(Car) Electrician is.Is it hard?Can you break your back...
Replies
Views
Squid
S
B
Prefix - I've tried to post this in automotive, but it would not let me. This may be because I have not been recently active. Apologies if this is...
Replies
Views
E
So my vauxhall combo was a disaster. Cost me £3500 in repairs in 6 months. Thats another story. Invested in a nice vw caddy. But with posher...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock