Discuss Car Insurance for 18yo male in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

J.C.E

-
Arms
Reaction score
Got my car insurance renewal letter in the post today.

When I passed my test I got a 2002 Vauxhall Corsa 1Litre and tinted windows (which i declared as a modification!)

I paid £3400 for third party and theft only! (double the bloody car value) what a joke aye!

Any way, after one year of driving and 1year no claims, the same company (ecar) offer me a renewal price of £3000! what a joke!

Anyways, I got a quote on admiral, with the same car, 1 years no claim, and my dad as a named driver, and they quoted me £900, which is better i suppose!

Was wondering if any of you have advise on which companys do great prices for 18yo males with 1 years no claims....

Cheers

I've been with Admiral for two years now, theyve always been the cheapest since I left direct line who i was with for four years.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

It doesn't work like that - you have to shop around by visiting price comparison websites (try at least 2) and some of the direct insurers such as direct line, admiral, churchill, norwich union etc. Different insurers have different criteria for how they assess the risk (you) and the ones who want your business each bid for it; the price you pay could depend on the day of the month you get your quote, for instance if they need to fulfill a quota before the end of the month, some might not like the car you drive, the area you live in, your age etc.

Fortunately now you can do it all online, not like when I was 18 and you had to spend a couple of hours going through the phone book and giving your details to all the companies over and again.

well im same mate passed at 17 and tried to get a car and insurance but just no way...
only way im getting it is getting mum as named driver and me as 2nd around 2k

Not sure if things have changed, but be careful with this, when my middle daughter passed her test we did the same, put the car in Mum's name and had her as main driver and daughter as 2nd, but a friend told us that insurance companies love this, becasue if mum as another car in her name as a main driver, they will stop the claim and investigate which could take months to years to payout.

It apparantly happened to him and in the end the insurance company never piad out as they finally declared that the mother was not the main driver and the policy was nulled.

it shouldnt be called insurance it should be a morgage , never rewnew your insurance with the same company always shop around as they tend to charge you more if you stay with the same company ,advice from martin lewis on radio 2

the "Named driver" thing seems great but as said Insurance companys love this specialy if Mum has another policy on her own car as for the price structure its just encouraging noninsurers to carrry on being uninsured
Employment affects the price specialy if you are on site n have a crash as most policies "Commuting " only allows ONE main place of employment so if your on several sites your classed as "using for employers buisness" adding yet more costs

the way i see it the value of my car is 1000 and insurance for me only is 4000-5000 with a parent around 1500 saving me around 2000-3000 which is 3x the amount of the car anyway.

Be careful insuring your own car as a named driver with your parents as the main driver. This is called "fronting" and is illegal, if you're caught you and/or your parents could be charged and your insurance could be declared invalid (you also run the risk of 6 points which, as a new driver, is a ban and a hefty fine).

It's likely that if your parent doesn't have another car of their own then this would go un-noticed but if your parents both have cars that are considerably more expensive / bigger / newer than your 1 Litre Corsa then the insurance company will know fine well that the parent is not the main driver of the car!

I tried to get insured on my mates suburu £7500!!!!!!!!! (jap import)

dont just go on money supermarket or go compare as usually its cheaper to go on sites which arent on price comparison websites

I just re done my quote with all the same details as used for my £834.67, but instead of a 12month, I choose the 10month....its lowered the premium to £727.61!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dont understand how it works, you get 1years ncb if you don't claim in the 10months, so surely they are giving away 2 frees months :s.....any ideas?

You can only use that 'year' with the same company - any other will see it as only 10 months, which isn't a year. If you renew with the same company chances are it'll be more expensive than shopping around, and it's basically 10 months of insurance down the drain because you still haven't got an extra year's NCB.
I've done it before, wished I hadn't, wouldn't do it again.

You can only use that 'year' with the same company - any other will see it as only 10 months, which isn't a year. If you renew with the same company chances are it'll be more expensive than shopping around, and it's basically 10 months of insurance down the drain because you still haven't got an extra year's NCB.
I've done it before, wished I hadn't, wouldn't do it again.

Admiral Bonus Accelerator Policy | Admiral Car Insurance UK

'What if I choose not to renew? If you want to leave Admiral after the 10 months (although we hope you'll want to stay with us) then don’t worry because we'll give you proof of the No Claims Bonus you have earned with us.'

Yeah they'll give you proof of 10 months no claims bonus. Insurers work on the number of years, not the number of '10 months' so it's effectively worthless.

Reply to Car Insurance for 18yo male in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net