Discuss Ceiling design for 600x600mm LED drop-in panels please. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Mark42

-
Esteemed
Patron
Reaction score
Good morning and a very happy lockdown to all :)

I'm using this tedious 'holiday' to fit a new suspended grid ceiling in my large open workshop.

Here's the provisional lighting plan, using drop-in 600 square LED panels from TLC. I have three existing circuits available (currently feeding 5 x 400W metal halides, which will be disconnected.)

Depending on the work in progress, I'd like a selection of lux levels, without the trouble and expense of using dimmable panels. So I'm fitting three separate circuits. Sketch and specs below.

Have I missed anything please? Has anyone done it like this before? (I'm new to LED panels).

Any comments/ideas before I build the thing?

Cheers, Mark

ps. (Of course the psychedelic colours are only to make the individual circuits easy to visualise. All panels are 5000K :cool: )

Ceiling lighting plan Ver 1.JPG

TL;DR
Best layout for multiple LED ceiling panel lighting circuits
Last edited:
In principle it looks and sounds fine. Depending on what work is being done in there. For instance if colour is important you might want to consider higher CRI factor. It sounds like you will be doing officey things in there? If so you need to get lights which have a UGR of 19. You need to know in advance the lumens deliver to desks, assuming there will be desks from your descriptions. The one big factor you need to work out is what is the inrush current. That amount of lights will struggle not to blow the MCB due to inrush. You might need to split them up circuit wise. You do not seem to mention emergency lighting or anti panic (required in a room that size. Just a few thought for starters. By the way I do a lot of commercial LED retro fit and upgrades. Oh and I don't personally like the asymetric nature of the layout.

my thoughts are that that is a bit of overkill.
my design , numbering the rows 1-13, topto bottom:
stick with row 7 centre line; move row 5 to row 4 and row 9 to row 10; ditch row 3 and row 11:
9 less fittings.
3 circuits, 2 of 9 lights and 1 of 10.
and as vorty says, i'd line them up vertically.

Looking at it again I think you need to come away from the edges of the wall/ceiling. The angle of the spread of the light (120 degrees?) works better away from the wall in delivering lumens/light as it bounces off of the wall better when at least one tile away from the edge. The spacing is right in that there are three tiles apart longwise/widthwise. You might consider if there are any people who have eyesight problems as sometimes I have encountered reactions to lighting in the high K range.

Looking at it again I think you need to come away from the edges of the wall/ceiling. The angle of the spread of the light (120 degrees?) works better away from the wall in delivering lumens/light as it bounces off of the wall better when at least one tile away from the edge. The spacing is right in that there are three tiles apart longwise/widthwise. You might consider if there are any people who have eyesight problems as sometimes I have encountered reactions to lighting in the high K range.
all but one are 1 tile away from walls in his drawing.

True the tiles are one away, the red legend should move two away in line with the others. I don't know if I am reading it right but it looks as if the edge tiles are not full tiles, part tiles by the seeming look of it.
p.s. what height are the ceiling intended to be?

what height are the ceiling intended to be?

good point.

Thanks for all the ideas. Quick lunchtime reply as I’m working on the building wall cladding today.

Finished ceiling height 3m exactly.

Perimeter tiles north and south are 500 deep, ie nearly full tiles.

Building use mainly mechanical engineering and maintenance by me, but is also rented for office/lab-type research work, with up to 20 people for a couple of weeks. Maybe I should consider warmer lighting?

But I have old eyes and always used intense MH lighting for very detailed work.

I wonder what a mix of warm and cold looks like? To offer a choice at up to about 300+ lm/m2. Naa, too complicated.

The great thing about these drop-in tiles is that I can experiment. But I’d rather do it only once!

I’ll follow the suggestions and draw up some other designs tonight and post. Thanks all for the brilliant help. I'm working alone and miss having second opinions available (even if only to ignore them.) ?

In principle it looks and sounds fine. Depending on what work is being done in there. For instance if colour is important you might want to consider higher CRI factor. It sounds like you will be doing officey things in there? If so you need to get lights which have a UGR of 19. You need to know in advance the lumens deliver to desks, assuming there will be desks from your descriptions. The one big factor you need to work out is what is the inrush current. That amount of lights will struggle not to blow the MCB due to inrush. You might need to split them up circuit wise. You do not seem to mention emergency lighting or anti panic (required in a room that size. Just a few thought for starters. By the way I do a lot of commercial LED retro fit and upgrades. Oh and I don't personally like the asymetric nature of the layout.
A quick question if I may.

If Lux falling on a target surface is a factor of source Lumen output, beam angle and distance from source, do you add together the Lux delivered from different sources where the beam patterns overlap?

My understanding is if a source of 5000 Lumens and a beam angle such that it liiuminates a target surface of 10m² would give a Lux level at target of 500 Lux.

If your lights were set in a pattern so that there was a perfect overlap, would the target Lux now be 1000?

Hi @GBDamo Two things, the required lux at the desk is something like 15 lux, second law of inverse squares applies. LED lumen output is prodigious and far exceeds (at 2.5-2.8m high) requirements for lighting in offices. Roughly speaking at 2m high the diameter of the spread of light is 2m. at a 90 degree cone of light. Therefore lights at three tiles apart gives approximately the right spread at say 2.5m without much overlap of significance. Inverse squares mean the amount of radiation received on a surface is inversely proportional to the sq of the distance away. So light drops of quite steeply at greater heights.

Thought an office was 450 Lux?

Anyhow, I don't think its too complicated when thought through logically.

The OP has 29 panels at 0.6m² each at 4000 Lumens, total 17.4m²

The workshop is approx 140m².

So (4000 x 17.4) /140 =497 and bits..

This should give in the ball park of 500Lux.

Be interested to see how far off my smoke packet maths is ?

The perception of colour is unimportant.

Most of the work which matters will be scientific research type stuff, with people and machines. A desk or two for recording research results, but mainly people milling about.

Good point about inrush. These fittings from TLC are soft start so I'm guessing a 3P B6 MCB will be fine. Each of the three circuits would be on a separate phase anyway.

A few fittings will have emergency back up batteries. I didn't mention that for clarity.

I've never heard of 'anti-panic' ... My industry mitigates that risk not by engineering contols, but by excluding the kind of people prone to panic :)

Good points about glare. I have bought one 5000K panel, and it looks OK - very evenly lit - unlike the point-source retina-busting nature of many LED fittings. Despite that I've now changed to spec to 4000K panels.

One guy did complain last week in another workshop about the unnatural quality of the light from my metal halides. But he was a techie physicist dude much given to speculation on the psychological effect of discontinuous spectra, so I ignored him. ?

You and Telectrix have caused me to have a rethink. Thanks! Here's a new plan:

Ceiling lighting plan Ver 2.JPG

I'm slightly concerned that this might not be bright enough. It's theoretically 610 lux with all on, but it is a high ceiling at 3m: the inverse square law is a bugger.

This new design allows for the easy addition of another 13 panels on the red circuit at the red X positions if needed.

I'd originally used so many fittings, together with the weird asymmetric arrangement, so that any one circuit on alone would not be too patchy.

Cheers, Mark.

Last edited:
Are you sure about the lumen output on Yel and Blue? Anti panic is a description of the function of the emergency lights. i.e. there will be some light when all the lights go out instead of darkness. UGR must be specifically specified when purchasing the lights. They are a specific class of lights. You can ask the manufacturer if the lumen/Lx delivery will meet requirements in the environment you propose to provide lighting for. You can also ask them the inrush current characteristics of their lights. At the same time you can obtain the photometric date for the lights as well as for the emergency light fittings. In getting the photometric data you can prove, in the absence of a luxmeter, that the emergency/anti panic deliver the required lumens as specified by BS standards (5266). As well it is usual to supply circuits in 10a for commercial. Not entirely sure why that is, but of course not compulsory. Are you planning to use white 20mm conduit and Klix fittings for the install? And the new design looks a lot better by the way. What are the red crosses?

Last edited:
Are you (OP) trying to raise the lighting level for the whole area for detailed/inspection work or just specific areas?
We did a similar job couple years back where the overall/general level of lighting was high (>500lm) and just specific areas (Panels side by side) to raise level (>800lm) where detailed work was required.
Arrangement looks odd on paper but worked in practice - It was a small photographic/print works FYI.

The perception of colour is unimportant.

Most of the work which matters will be scientific research type stuff, with people and machines. A desk or two for recording research results, but mainly people milling about.

Good point about inrush. These fittings from TLC are soft start so I'm guessing a 3P B6 MCB will be fine. Each of the three circuits would be on a separate phase anyway.

A few fittings will have emergency back up batteries. I didn't mention that for clarity.

I've never heard of 'anti-panic' ... My industry mitigates that risk not by engineering contols, but by excluding the kind of people prone to panic :)

Good points about glare. I have bought one 5000K panel, and it looks OK - very evenly lit - unlike the point-source retina-busting nature of many LED fittings. Despite that I've now changed to spec to 4000K panels.

One guy did complain last week in another workshop about the unnatural quality of the light from my metal halides. But he was a techie physicist dude much given to speculation on the psychological effect of discontinuous spectra, so I ignored him. ?

You and Telectrix have caused me to have a rethink. Thanks! Here's a new plan:

View attachment 63304

I'm slightly concerned that this might not be bright enough. It's theoretically 610 lux with all on, but it is a high ceiling at 3m: the inverse square law is a bugger.

This new design allows for the easy addition of another 13 panels on the red circuit at the red X positions if needed.

I'd originally used so many fittings, together with the weird asymmetric arrangement, so that any one circuit on alone would not be too patchy.

Cheers, Mark.
that looks better to me, but should be more on red circuit, less on yellow and blue. and i would opt for 10A C curve MCBs on all 3.

Are you (OP) trying to raise the lighting level for the whole area for detailed/inspection work or just specific areas?
We did a similar job couple years back where the overall/general level of lighting was high (>500lm) and just specific areas (Panels side by side) to raise level (>800lm) where detailed work was required.
Arrangement looks odd on paper but worked in practice - It was a small photographic/print works FYI.
Because no two jobs/rentals are the same I don't have the luxury of being able to install overall/task/accent lighting in fixed places. So I'm trying to go for two fixed levels (say 'normal' and 'bright') for the whole area.

Reply to Ceiling design for 600x600mm LED drop-in panels please. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net