Discuss Chasing ring main cable into wall - DIYer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Agreed unless they get the cable 2 inches in the brick if it is brick than it needs a rcd.
If you go two inches deep your probably over a 1/3 ofnthe brick so a no go on that front.
A RCBO maybe?
I’m personally still more concerned with the state of the cpc than additional protection for a cable.

When a cable is not able to be seen (i.e. you've hidden it in the wall) there are safety regulations that apply. You've probably guessed there was, which is why you put forward your original question. Have another read, all the info is here already :) .

Last edited:
Confused. Most of the sockets in the house and light switches have cables in walls , although directly up from floor or down from loft...so what’s the difference ?

Someone suggested loft which I didn’t think about, although additional socket is on an external wall and original spurred from in on an internal wall.

I’m going to try and raise the original socket so it’s off the skirting and in-line with where I want to put the spurred socket. Will then run cable in wall in conduit directly across (2m), round internal corner and then directly across to (2m) to new socket. Will wire it in, make good and then get electrician to test it when the RCD protected CU goes in later this month.

Leave the socket alteration until the CU change and ask for it done as an extra job.
You shouldn't be doing this work without the ability to install, test, and certificate to the standards of the wiring regs.

according to my read of the regs, you can go directly horizontal both ways from socket until you reach corner or door etc. If in safe zone then can be less than 50mm in wall. I think I need to think about whether anyone in the future could reasonably assume there is a cable run between the two points.

Due to RCD requirement I think it is best left to when the protection is in place .

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Last edited:

Reply to Chasing ring main cable into wall - DIYer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net