Discuss From concealed ring to surface fixed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

GSparks

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all, question on extending an existing ring main onto the surface and then re-joining back to in-wall. Is there a ‘correct way’ to do this, as I don’t see any sockets other than spurs with flex outlets that allow you to nicely exit a double, continue surface mount for a few sockets (behind kitchen units) and then back into an existing ring to complete the circuit? Obviously it’s not going to be seen so doesn’t matter a huge amount what it looks like, but just making a cable sized hole in the plasterboard next to the socket and then into trunking just doesn’t seem right?!

You could come out of the ring into the back of the first extra socket, exit from there to the next socket, through that and on to the next etc and return through the plasterboard via the back of the final socket, running the cable in plastic conduit between the sockets if you want it to look nicer. Assuming plastic sockets, just use a cone-cutter to make 20mm holes in the side of the sockets and use couplers to attach the conduit.

If it’s plasterboard, the wall is hollow?
So your cable sizes hole doesn’t need to be right next to a socket…. It can be down on the skirting.

I should have clarified that I assumed the extra sockets would be surface mounted on a patress, not sunk into the wall, which in your case, with kingspan behind, would work ok.

I should have clarified that I assumed the extra sockets would be surface mounted on a patress, not sunk into the wall, which in your case, with kingspan behind, would work ok.

Spot on Mr P, it is indeed going to be surface mount boxes (well in some cases sunk into the back of kitchen cupboard back panels (18mm egger board) with drylining boxes unless there’s a better way) so that the buried, disconnected ring leg can be re-connected at a later date if the surface mounts are ever removed. That will probably be after the life span of the cable though so I may be forward planning a bit too much!

Reply to From concealed ring to surface fixed in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock