Discuss Could I use old telephone wire to run 24VDC for LED lighting use? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello,
I am in the middle of installing some 24VDC LED Strip lights in my daughters bedroom and was struggling on how to hide the transformer as I did not want to mount a box on the wall to conceal it or run wires through the wall into her closet. After thinking about this I happen to find the old telephone wire in a box behind her bed. I did a trace on the wire and found it in my basement server room which makes ideal.

My thought was to mount the transformer on the wall in my basement and use 2 of the 4 conductors from the telephone wire that run to her room as the 24VDC supply source to a Shelly RGBW2 which I would conceal in the telephone wire box and run all the LED wiring right into the box. While this sounds simple enough and I am possibly overthinking this I was wondering if there may be a drawback to this? As far as I can tell, the wire gauge is the same as the LED just solid instead of stranded.

Thanks in advance

I thought about that but the Mean Wells power supply has some adjustment on the voltage side albeit that I am not sure if it will be enough to get me to my 24VDC at about 30' from the Shelly RGBW2.... However thanks for the reply as I am leaving nothing to chance. Only want to do this once correctly.

What LEDs are you fitting? What Watts are what?

And there was me thinking just a few LEDs ?

300 LED's per run @ 0.1A per LED Gives me a 3A load per run. I am planning a run of 3.5 strips.
Max Watts would be 120W per run.
If those figures are right (and I’m not convinced they are as that’s very bright) using phone cable would be absolutely fine.
For about 20 seconds.
After which time the cable would melt and catch fire, quite likely setting fire to your daughter’s bedroom.

It is quite chanlleging job when you decide to use the phone cable to do the project.
First thing you have to check on the data sheet of the phone cable, and find out the biggest watt it can tolerate.
Suppose it can support 1A DC24V, you will have to customized the LED strip light to lesser than 4.8W per meter, while you have to make the consideration of the brightness of the strip light, it is very professional and expensive design.

Before doing the projects, you have to use the customized led strip light to do a test outside, and make sure that it can be done successfully.

Quite difficult job and time-costing for most of the un-professionals.

Reply to Could I use old telephone wire to run 24VDC for LED lighting use? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net