Discuss Delta Training - NVQ3 online e-portfolio in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

highspark

Lads, has anybody done this and completed it through Delta. Spoke to a couple of training providers today a couple, including Delta, who said they can do the qualification online and there would be no on-site assessment. Others said don't give them your money it can't be done online. I'm just wondering if it can be done and if Delta are reputable?

I am doing mine with Delta at the moment I believe you can do it online as long as you have 2 years electrical experience. There are quite a few people who have done it with Delta on the forum not really read of any complaints. My experience so far is excellent assessor very helpfull and always on hand for any questions.

Doing mine with excel formally VQ online, getting close to finishing. The only complaint I have with the online is that you have to get each job signed by somebody with an NVQ3 etc... luckly for me I found somebody who's been really helpfull and there prepared to come out and check my work and sign off nvq for me, in hindsight I wish i'd have paid more and done it the old fashioned way onsite assessments etc...

I don't quite understand this, ...How can a site based NVQ (3) be completed on-line?? So where are the checks and balances??

With mine I have to provide witness statements for every module so even though the portfolio is completed online, somedody still has to come out to verify each module.

Your assigned a assessor and witness's are checked by internal and external verifyiers, I know a guy who completed a NVQ six months ago through a placement not online and he just turned up at 4 jobs his mates were on, the whole NVQ thing is full of holes but it's up to the individual if they choose to do it properley or not, they reckon there's 100's of fake doctor's practicing in this country on phoney certs so I aint gunna worry about the online NVQ portfolios

the whole NVQ thing is full of holes but it's up to the individual if they choose to do it properley or not, they reckon there's 100's of fake doctor's practicing in this country on phoney certs so I aint gunna worry about the online NVQ portfolios

That statement scares me on several levels.

hahaha

i have a Medical Degree from university of kuala lumpar saying i studied medicine..... got it for 15 quid....!!
i also have various other Certs apparently saying im a Multi Skiled Mechanical Electrical Technician from the royal navy...!

!!!! thats scary !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Your assigned a assessor and witness's are checked by internal and external verifyiers, I know a guy who completed a NVQ six months ago through a placement not online and he just turned up at 4 jobs his mates were on, the whole NVQ thing is full of holes but it's up to the individual if they choose to do it properley or not, they reckon there's 100's of fake doctor's practicing in this country on phoney certs so I aint gunna worry about the online NVQ portfolios

Well, i can't say it's any worse than Scheme Providers accepting Electrical Trainee straight out of there course's, or what's happening elsewhere in the demise our industry, ...Par for the course in this respect!! Seems that no-ones too bothered about it either, just one more abuse means on top of all the others that's being accepted these day's!!!

The portfolios are a pain to do and seem to take forever and tbf I'd only have to copy somebody else's and save myself the headache, but that's not why i'm doing it (hopefully others as well), there's always going to be dross out there wether that be doctors, dentist, plasterers, brickies or sparkys and in my experience they only get so far before people see through them.
I accept the system is flawed what I don't accept is being a part of it.

AP stood atop on the moral highground

:Angel_anim:

Steve TMIET

SMETA Engineering Apprenticeship
BTEC Advanced Electrical Installation
City & Guilds 2382 - 2391 - 2377
City & Guilds Electrical Installation NVQ (2356)
ICS Mechanical Engineering Diploma
City & Guilds Mechanical maintenance NVQ
HV Authorized Engineer
Cat D Nuclear Operators Qualification
MCA (Maritime and Coastguard Agency) Approved Firefighter

steve geordies a supposed to be thick,your letting the area down man,i bet youve got rid of the coal fire for that fancy central heating thing too....snob..
:p:p

Steve TMIET

SMETA Engineering Apprenticeship
BTEC Advanced Electrical Installation
City & Guilds 2382 - 2391 - 2377
City & Guilds Electrical Installation NVQ (2356)
ICS Mechanical Engineering Diploma
City & Guilds Mechanical maintenance NVQ
HV Authorized Engineer
Cat D Nuclear Operators Qualification
MCA (Maritime and Coastguard Agency) Approved Firefighter

steve geordies a supposed to be thick,your letting the area down man,i bet youve got rid of the coal fire for that fancy central heating thing too....snob..
:p:p
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Central Heating!! its wicked... well not mine its currently fooked..! needs new heat exchanger after NEVER been service for 12 years...! (since new) apparently its giving off 16000 parts per million of CO , been informed that's bad.. also flue is blocked with carbon deposits that have started to eat the metal work...!

only been in house 4 weeks and its costing me a small fortune..

give me a coal fire any day!! just don't like having to empty it or get it going at 7 in morning to get some hot water when you let it burn out over night...!!

oh forgot to mention that the AT RISK label fell off and the fuse fell back in when gas engineer left..!! his parting words were i would install a CO Alarm if you intend doing what he thought i would be doing..! hahaha.. New Condensing Boiler here i come...!! get rid of that god awful tank...!

View attachment 9754

Last edited by a moderator:
Has any1 on here completed there NVQ3 with XS Training as im looking to do it with them. I have also contacted EAS they are a bit more expensive but they were recommended by JIB. Can i have some feedback thanks​

I did mine with Eas, and the assessor was very good. He turned up on site, looked at jobs I'd done, and watched me doing testing ect. I felt I was actually assessed. The online one sounds like a box ticking exercise.

I did mine with Eas, and the assessor was very good. He turned up on site, looked at jobs I'd done, and watched me doing testing ect. I felt I was actually assessed. The online one sounds like a box ticking exercise.

This is a good point. That is, if you are willing to pay someone a few hundred quid to turn up on site and take a few photos, collect evidence etc. The type of assessment you refer to is the kind that I would normally carry out with apprentices (New Entrants).

The whole idea of online assessment in our industry is aiming the assessment at those who are ALREADY competent (practicing operatives) and have been working in the trade for some time. An apprentice could not complete their NVQ completely online as they are not deemed competent and are classed as "New Entrants" to the industry. The National Occupational Standards state that they must receive site visits. However, someone who has been working in the industry for a number of years would not be a new entrant but a Practicing Operative. Practicing Operatives have experiene in all the eight units of this NVQ but have simply not had the opportunity to complete their NVQ.

The idea is that they collect their own evidence which is naturally occuring and upload this to their e-Portfolio for assessment along with a site diary. If some people choose to pay someone for site visits and taking photos of them then that is simply a matter of choice, it all leads to the same qualification.

XS Training and Delta are amongst the training providers who are targetting those who are already competent and simply have to collect evidence etc of this. They choose not to charge candidates for site visits and suggest that the candidates can collect their own evidence as outlined above, thus saving the candidate time and money in the process.

The fact that they dont insist on charging candidates for coming out on site and taking photos is probably why XS Training and Delta are amongst the cheapest in the UK for this qualification.

how are you to prove that the student for want of a better word, has actually got experience, unless you watch them work, and ask them in depth questions. I could easily give a fake employers reference, and book myself onto an NVQ, and the only work ive ever done is in a bay whilst doing the 2330. A few fake write ups later, and a few photos i can take of any building and i have an NVQ3. I fully support people trying to better themselves, asd i have the same ethos, but ibeleive that a face to face approach is best, and its tried and tested.

supprised no one has mentioned quickstep, done mine through them via the local college, was free at the time to as it was funded. piece of pi#s is an understatement.

Last edited:
Hi To All

the point of site assessments seem to be a sticking point here, just one question, when you proved your competence to drive a car did you write about it in an on-line logbook or did somebody observe you whilst you drove a car?

the national ocupational standards specify that an NVQ must contain aspects of observation of natural performance (i.e site assessments) as well as using other assessment methods and any work based witness must be qualified to the same level as you are trying to achive, would a painter know if an electrical installation has been completed to a safe and acceptable standard?

any training provider willing to do purely hands - off assessment is on shakey ground, its like asking one of us to do a periodic inspection cert over the phone! (sorry, i should now say an electrical installation condition report). just make sure you are getting what you think you are for the money.

as for AM2, you MAY still need one to obtain a grading card even having completed an NVQ unless you can prove to the JIB you have previous experience in excess of that obtained during an apprenticeship, i.e 4 yrs+, they seem to work on a case-by-case basis, no two people seem to have the same info but you always need the NVQ 3

Hi To All

the point of site assessments seem to be a sticking point here, just one question, when you proved your competence to drive a car did you write about it in an on-line logbook or did somebody observe you whilst you drove a car?

the national ocupational standards specify that an NVQ must contain aspects of observation of natural performance (i.e site assessments) as well as using other assessment methods and any work based witness must be qualified to the same level as you are trying to achive, would a painter know if an electrical installation has been completed to a safe and acceptable standard?

any training provider willing to do purely hands - off assessment is on shakey ground, its like asking one of us to do a periodic inspection cert over the phone! (sorry, i should now say an electrical installation condition report). just make sure you are getting what you think you are for the money.

as for AM2, you MAY still need one to obtain a grading card even having completed an NVQ unless you can prove to the JIB you have previous experience in excess of that obtained during an apprenticeship, i.e 4 yrs+, they seem to work on a case-by-case basis, no two people seem to have the same info but you always need the NVQ 3
City and Guilds have approved the online assessments. Although they can all be staged its likely to be very rare as already stated you need to have been working as an electrician for at least 2 years.

A picture paints a thousand words and these site assessments aren't all that either. I know that all my photos are genuine and paint a picture of how I work on each site. From start to finish.

Hi To All

The Practising Operative

A practising operative defines individuals who are working in the industry and although competent have no formal recognition of their occupational competence.

There is no specific requirement for the candidate to be assessed on site by observation, however an assessor may wish to use evidence by observation in certain employment circumstances e.g. self employed. (Page 18 National Occupational Standards)

Lets face it, online assessments have been around for years and are used by millions around the world. Like any system of assessment they are open to abuse however, with effective quality assurance in place, the attempts to abuse this system will be minimised and the "chancers" will be sussed out very early on in this assessment process. Also, no-one would ask a painter and decorator to be a witness for anyone working in the electrical contracting industry, you have rightly pointed out that the witness needs to be occupationally competent.

You have to realise that it is not just about taking a few photos. Its about providing consistent evidence of meeting the national occupational standards and providing proof of meeting the knowledge criteria for the NVQ such as the 2330 level 2 & 3.

As Highspark as rightly pointed out, this method of assessment has been approved by the awarding bodies as they have also been using online assessment for years.

Hey guys just started doing the NVQ with Delta, so far its alot of writing!! Kind of just feels like writing alot of boring stuff but has to be done i guess!! How long did it take you guys and how many photos did you take? Seems like you need to have loads of them to prove all those units?
Cheers

Hi im doing it online currently, how many photos do you take of the job, i have ones of me doing the job and showing consumer units and me testing etc how in depth do you have to go?

I had about 20 photos per job. The problem is finding someone willing to follow you all day with a camera.
Just take photos of the essentials, H&S, safe isolation, connecting up etc. Is your assessor Tom?

My assessor is tom, timbo. I have to say the online portfolio is repetative and disheartening. I would find it much easier to be sitting and writing my diary up by hand. All the typing makes you leave the portfolio.

Yeah you can say that again, its like repetitive to say the least saying pretty much the same thing over and over and over again!! But i suppose it leads there in the end!

Reply to Delta Training - NVQ3 online e-portfolio in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net