Discuss Do my PVC sockets really need re-wiring? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wacman

have had them tested. They have a 1.5mm cpc, insulation resistance on all of them was tested at >200 M ohms. Just not sure how long they have been in. House was built in 1965. As long as there are no problems such as over loading or cables laid near pipes or touching polystyrene, how long can you expect Pvc cables to last? Opologies if this is an impossible question to answer.

Providing all test results are satisfactory then there is no need to rewire. A rewire is normally recommended when the installation shows signs of deterioration.

not impossible mate. if the cables are sound and test out for continuity and insulation resistance. it's a case of " if it ain't broke, don't fix it". pvc cables , if properly installed should last for donkeys.

It is a bit - who was it that said they need rewiring and what was their reasoning behind it? Old VIR cable is best replaced because it crumbles to the touch, and some 60s/70s PVC cable reacts badly when it heats up and you get green goo oozing out of the ends of the cable.
Alternatively the sockets may have been wired in an 'unconventional' configuration and need standardising.

should add, the electrician who tested them recently re-wired the lights due to them having no cpc. So all floor boards have been up and no signs of damaged or deteriorating cable on the ring main, obviously he couldn't inspect them in the wall though.

it's all down to testing. if, as i said, the cables test out OK, then no problems.

Thanks for the replies. I think I might be getting a bit paranoid about the wiring after having the lights done. I began thinking that i just as well do the sockets to future proof them. But as you say, if they test ok and are not damaged they should be ok. As a compromise I've thought about having the kitchen sockets put on a separate ring due to some dodgy kitchen fitter electrics....cables run diagonally ect.

wacman

Don't worry, ...so long as your circuits are not stressed by overloading or by other detrimental external influences, then there's no reason why these PVC cables won't out live you!! ...lol!!!

NovusSparkus,

The old TRS (Rubber) cables normally only crumbled at termination points, especially at lighting points where subjected to long periods of heat. Or when connected to socket outlets, that were being continually overloaded, basically because in the older domestic installations, ...never enough socket outlet were installed.

I rewired my parents house years ago, which was all TRS and the main bulk of the cable was virtually as good as when it was installed. In fact good enough to wire up the garage. lol!! In some respects better than PVC, as it stands up well the freezing temp's of UK's winter months, ...So ideal for use in garages and sheds and the like, so long as there not exposed directly with the weather...

TRS is often more durable than VIR, but in either way it's difficult to comment on the condition of it without actually seeing it. Obviously conditions vary across different installations and provided it is in a perfect condition there may be no reason to replace it other than preparing for the future, ie new for old.
Of course there's nothing to say there's any rubber cable of any description in this particular installation.

Both have the same insulation material, Only difference really, was the braided covering on VIR. VIR were normally singles used in conduit wiring

So does modern H07 cable, but that's not the point.
Just because the rubber cabling in your parents' house was ok doesn't mean that all rubber cable everywhere is automatically fine, in fact often VIR cable will need replacing.

should add, the electrician who tested them recently re-wired the lights due to them having no cpc. So all floor boards have been up and no signs of damaged or deteriorating cable on the ring main, obviously he couldn't inspect them in the wall though.
The testing (if done correctly) would find any faults in cable you cannot see. I wouldn't worry about it. My parents own a farm and there is old PVC cable in the cow shed which is older than me, it has had a very hard life and still tests fine.

You don't mention what type of cu you have but if you don't have any RCD protection, it would make sense to go down this path first before thinking about anything more major. Also a CU change "test" shedule will show up any anomalies in your house.

Have got a new hager 17th ed split CU, that was one of the first things I got done as the old one had re-wireable fuses and no rcd's. Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll leave the Socket wiring as it is then, like you say, it seems to be testing out ok. Er indoors will be pleased as she wants to get on to prettying things up....call me old fashioned but I prefered to start with the important things like CU, earth in the lights and testing the sockets...

So does modern H07 cable, but that's not the point.
Just because the rubber cabling in your parents' house was ok doesn't mean that all rubber cable everywhere is automatically fine, in fact often VIR cable will need replacing.

Did i say that ALL the old TRS cables would be good?? Read what i posted again, i clearly stated that IF those old cables had NOT been subjected to prolonged periods of overloading, and/or not been subjected to an external heat source then the chances are the bulk of the cable runs would still be good. The normal termination points problem, was also present in my parents old house, but 6'' or so from those points were right as rain!!! The cables in the garage were still good when we sold the property just 6 years ago...

H07 does NOT have the same type of insulation rubber as those old TRS/VIR cables mate, it's a totally different rubber compound that''s used in today's rubberised cables...

Did i say that ALL the old TRS cables would be good?? Read what i posted again, i clearly stated that IF those old cables had NOT been subjected to prolonged periods of overloading, and/or not been subjected to an external heat source then the chances are the bulk of the cable runs would still be good. The normal termination points problem, was also present in my parents old house, but 6'' or so from those points were right as rain!!! The cables in the garage were still good when we sold the property just 6 years ago...

H07 does NOT have the same type of insulation rubber as those old TRS/VIR cables mate, it's a totally different rubber compound that''s used in today's rubberised cables...
So what's your point?
If "6" or so" of cable at each termination needs replacing, then basically the whole lot needs doing.
It's no good saying "well the bulk of it's ok so there's no need to replace it all" because you'd still have to chop off the bits which connect to the accessories, so you'd only have the runs in the walls, not connected to anything - you need ALL of it to be ok.

So what's your point?
If "6" or so" of cable at each termination needs replacing, then basically the whole lot needs doing.
It's no good saying "well the bulk of it's ok so there's no need to replace it all" because you'd still have to chop off the bits which connect to the accessories, so you'd only have the runs in the walls, not connected to anything - you need ALL of it to be ok.
not if you raise the accessories by 6"

not if you raise the accessories by 6"
LOL yeah I was going to suggest moving all the accessories, chasing the boxes again etc just so you could use "perfectly good" obsolete cable but I thought that would just be silly - the cables might come up from the floor so you'd have to move them down by 6", which would make them less accessible.

So what's your point?

Is it me that's missing something here?? I told you that i ''REWIRED'' my parents house!!! I used some of the perfectly GOOD cable to wire my parents garage. So what the hell are you on about here??

Who said anything about chopping bits off, ....and leaving bits in the wall?? Are you on the ''wacky baccy'' or something??

Is it me that's missing something here?? I told you that i ''REWIRED'' my parents house!!! I used some of the perfectly GOOD cable to wire my parents garage. So what the hell are you on about here??

Who said anything about chopping bits off, ....and leaving bits in the wall?? Are you on the ''wacky baccy'' or something??
Firstly you need to calm down.
This post was about whether or not someone's sockets need rewiring in their house.
I suggested that IF the cable was old VIR it would probably need replacing, then for some reason you started going on about how you took old TRS (which you reckon is the same) cable out of your parents house and used it to wire their garage with, which doesn't help at all because that's not what the OP was asking about.
If you want to start a thread about cheaping out by reusing obsolete materials on jobs then do that, but hijacking other threads can get confusing.

Reply to Do my PVC sockets really need re-wiring? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net