Discuss Drilled through a cable embedded in plaster, easy fix? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi there

Been a bit of a pillock and drilled through a cable when putting a shelf up. It powers the ceiling light in my kitchen and nothing else (pretty sure anyway).

I've gone through the live wire but not the earth which is still safely encased in it's sheath.

There's a small gap between the two ends, to me (as a non-electrician) I was going to do one of two things
- Get a tiny bit of joining copper wire to bridge the gap, solder it on to both loose ends and then wrap it up in shrink wrap or electrical tape
- Get a chocbox and fit that in the gap

Are either of the above to more/less likely to result in my house burning down and is there a different solution I should consider?

Feel like laying a whole new cable is overkill for this tiny issue, right?

2mmwisw.png

Hi mate. Welcome to the forum.
You are not going to like my answer but I'm with Pete on this.
Depending on what the electrical says you might get away without replacing the whole cable.
If you do try and fix it are you going to use the 'bang test' or test your repair properly?

Hi mate. Welcome to the forum.
You are not going to like my answer but I'm with Pete on this.
Depending on what the electrical says you might get away without replacing the whole cable.
If you do try and fix it are you going to use the 'bang test' or test your repair properly?

What's a realistic cost for an electrician to come out and take a look and fix it?

My simplified view is that it's a bit of metal that's split in two and if I join it back together and insulate it it should be fine, non?

What's a realistic cost for an electrician to come out and take a look and fix it??

Not sure mate. I don't do Domestics. Hopefully someone from round your area will be able to give you a rough idea.

My simplified view is that it's a bit of metal that's split in two and if I join it back together and insulate it it should be fine, non?

Your simplified view is correct, it will work. It may not be safe or to the regs. We are not cowboys and would not like to put anyone in danger by doing a half arsed job.

Dig out some more of it, cut the damaged part, solder a piece of cable to replace it, insulate with some heatshrink and vulcanizing tape.
Buried chocblock is not the option, they get loose over time and make faulty connections.
If you are in east (ish) London I may be able to help you with it. PM if needed.

Unfortunately you are not going to get the answer you are hoping for, a "yes, no problem" to (I presume a quick fix solution) one of the methods you have suggested. The ways you have suggested if not done correctly would be considered "bodge jobs" and though may work, in that the circuit may function. But, it would not be considered safe or to the required regulations. A good electrician will sort it correctly for you at not a great cost.

I'm not sure what it is TBH, I was hoping one of you guys was going to tell me but with that much outer sheath missing I'd expect to see other conductors. Also if you look carefully at the ends of the copper where it severed there's no sign of flash damage, only mechanical damage which also suggests either the circuit was isolated at the time of damage or there were no other conductors involved....unless as Freddo says it's just side on and a coincidence no other wire was exposed or visible afterwards.

I'm not sure what it is TBH, I was hoping one of you guys was going to tell me but with that much outer sheath missing I'd expect to see other conductors. Also if you look carefully at the ends of the copper where it severed there's no sign of flash damage, only mechanical damage which also suggests either the circuit was isolated at the time of damage or there were no other conductors involved....unless as Freddo says it's just side on and a coincidence no other wire was exposed or visible afterwards.

It could be the switch wire to the light in the kitchen and he has drilled through it when it wasn't switched on...??
It does look strange that you can only see the one conductor. Hopefully the OP will get back to us.

Kinda a moot point really though, I'd replace the cable because I don't see there's any way of making a satisfactory maintenance free joint in the location shown.

It could be the switch wire to the light in the kitchen and he has drilled through it when it wasn't switched on...??
It does look strange that you can only see the one conductor. Hopefully the OP will get back to us.
Yeah, it's all guesswork without further info, it looked like it was under a tile so my first thought was bathroom but as you say could be kitchen..

The OP says kitchen in post #1 mate.

If it is a switch wire the OP could always move the switch to there he drilled through it.... Job done.... :)

Reply to Drilled through a cable embedded in plaster, easy fix? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net