Discuss Elecsa assessment check in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi all

have my assesment (1st) next week just wanted to see if id forgot anything.

The assessment job,

TNCS earthing system.
No extrenuous conductive parts such as water/gas or steel framwork within garage. TNCS earth to be used no need for additional 10mm bonding conductor.
RCD protection via 30ma RCD mainswitch. Not my prefered option but due to layout of existing installation only practicle option (note on cert re reg 314 (consumer unit installed to earlier edition of regulations does not comply) Emergency lighting point has been fitted

Garage supply circuit

(Part 1) 4mm/1.5mm t+e from exisitng spare way (32A type B Bsen60898) clipped direct via loft space 300mm above loft insulation to bungalowe exterior wall (40A weatherproof JB)
(Part 2) 4mm 3 core SWA from 40A JB clipped to wall then buried 650mm depth below paving slabs and into garage. (garage 2m from main house) SWA & armour terminated in insulated adaptable box cores run into 5way metal clad garage C.U.
SWA armour earthed at 40A JB only being used as mechanical protection.

Garage lighting and power circuits all run in 20mm white pvc conduit. (2.5mm singles sockets) ( 1.5mm singles lighting)
internal socket and external socket circuits each on 16A type b bsen60898 mcb, internal and external light circuits each on 6A type b bsen60898 mcb.

All tests are within requirements re BS7671
completed EIC with additional sceduals for garage circuits

I have all required books and part p hard copy
i have required calibratiuon certs for test meter, Cal Card system and MFT/voltage tester/proving unit
i have 2million liability insurance
i have H&S policy/risk assessment/complaints procedure/log
i have required qualifications including 2382 17th wiring regs

i think im ready unless anyone can think of something ive missed or a problem with the job

appreciate feedback dont want to make a silly error or forget something

many thanks

Last edited:
warning tape above buried SWA?

You have arranged with the customer that you are coming to see the job.
You are ready to use Elecsa's warranty scheme once you are accepted.
The books include all the ones on the list including memorandum of guidance on EAWR.
You know all the answers or where to look them up.
I might have earthed the SWA at the garage as well, since it is the same earthing system.
You have justification for all your choices of OCPD/cable/containment.

Really sounds like you are there, good luck, so long as you have paid you should be fine!

yes i have placed warning tape 250 mm above SWA cable or one and half spade lengths.
willing to use accept the warranty scheme once explained by the assessor
did not earth armour at garage as it it not being used as main earth just for mechanical protection of the cable.
have produced full design pack including cable calculations, ref methods, conduit factors, risk assessments for 4293 rcd main switch so all choices re cables,cpd ect are justified and backed up by calculation.
as for knowing all the answers lol not sure about that but i know how where to find anything i cant remember.

thanks for your replies.

I would still have earthed the swa at the garage, easy with it being a m/clad cu. Job done now though. Should be ok. Good luck

yeah seems to be different opinions re earthing armour if not used as cpc. i was taught not to earth at both ends if not being used as cpc, many many years ago, due to eddy currents, and if it is not being used as the cpc it does not need to be IMO but thanks for the feedback

appears that no one has highlighted any problems with the job which is pleasing, i know that its perfectly ok , just the doubts re assessment. always reassuring to run it past a few other sparks i guess these assessments get easier when you know what to expect. or at least i hope they do lol

Last edited:
yeah seems to be different opinions re earthing armour if not used as cpc. i was taught not to earth at both ends if not being used as cpc, many many years ago, due to eddy currents, and if it is not being used as the cpc it does not need to be IMO but thanks for the feedback

appears that no one has highlighted any problems with the job which is pleasing, i know that its perfectly ok , just the doubts re assessment. always reassuring to run it past a few other sparks i guess these assessments get easier when you know what to expect. or at least i hope they do lol

New one on me. eg..If the swa is being used as the earthing conductor and isn't big enough, as with certain sizes of cable, why do we run a separate earth to upgrade, as required ? The more substantial the better, as far as I'm concerned.

as i said different opinions, i never use the armour as CPC always run a 3 core cable and use a core as earth so in this instance the armour does not need or be required to be earthed at both ends as long as it is earthed at the supply end the cable armour is being used as earthed mechanical protection. i assume you are talking about upgrading the csa of the armour via a seperate earth cable so both are being used as a combined cpc to meet earth fault requirements which is slightly different as both ends of the armour and additional cpc cable would need to be and required to be earthed. if the armour is not being used as a CPC and the third core is correctly sized why would the armour need to be earthed at both ends as it is only providing mechanical protection. i take your point that by connecting it you are making the earthing cpc more substantial by increasing c.s.a, but as previously stated i was taught not to do it due to possible eddy currents generated, IMO it would be better to run a suitably sized third core SWA cable and not rely on running an additional CPC if the armour can not handle the fault current alone. But its all theory and i guess either way will work just a matter of how you do it .

You've got your many, many years of experience, I see, and, opinions are opinions. I can't remember my first assessment, but hope your's goes ok. ATB

Make sure you get the car and any crap out of the garage so you've got access to the cu. Oh, and don't let the assessor touch any of your test equipment on the job. I did on my last one, and he dropped my IR/cont meter on a concrete floor.

No probs, just threw a driver to him so he could check it out for damage.
You'll probably find it pretty simple from the information given. No need for overkill.

i did a similar install for one of my first assesments, my assesor didnt like the angle of bend of my 6mm SWA.
i did a nice 90degree bend where the cable came out & down the wall, it was too tight he said. i dont usualy bother getting the angles that tight but wanted a neat job to show.
however well you prepare, they will always pick up on something.

ahh bit picky in my view,but i guess they have to find something wrong, but i should be ok with reguards to that as i drilled down through the wall so the swa bend is shallow when it enters the garage from outside. and hey none of us are perfect so if thats all he finds id be well pleased.

Just remember, they want to pass you, so will endeavour to put you at ease and give you a chance in your inevitably nervous state to look up anything you can't remember straight away.
You sound like you will be a credit to the profession mate, so good luck :)

Btw, I always connect armouring at both ends, in this situation, just for belts and braces.

Reply to Elecsa assessment check in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock