Discuss Electrical engineering. HND vs Degree in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

After the HND you can top up to a Beng on a shorter deg. It's what I did.

Also, gives you a solid background on the math involved. As the math gets pretty solid at degree level. Even the HND math is higher than the modern A level math.

After the HND you can top up to a Beng on a shorter deg. It's what I did.

Also, gives you a solid background on the math involved. As the math gets pretty solid at degree level. Even the HND math is higher than the modern A level math.

Thanks Rob. Think that's what I'll do

After I came out of my apprenticeship I went down the route of; c course, onc, hnc and then went onto a degree. I found that a very successful strategy as each year my abilities grew steadily and wasn't overwhelmed by any of the subjects
Exactly the route I went. I did my HND over several years as block release whilst I was an apprentice then went on to complete a degree a couple of years later.

only problem i see is the higher up you go, degree etc. , you get shovelled into desk jobs. that happened to me with HND. after 6 months sitting at a desk, i quit and went in at the deep end, having little experience on the tools, but with th right mindset to learn, bei basically hands-on. rebuilt motorbikes, done some electrical experiments whilst in teens, all helped.

only problem i see is the higher up you go, degree etc. , you get shovelled into desk jobs. that happened to me with HND. after 6 months sitting at a desk, i quit and went in at the deep end, having little experience on the tools, but with th right mindset to learn, bei basically hands-on. rebuilt motorbikes, done some electrical experiments whilst in teens, all helped.

Yeh I do fear that a little bit tbh. However, I think long term I am better to build my quals up now. I can still keep my hand in on the tools with side jobs etc. I do that now anyway

I have quite a similar experience to you.
Got my degree (mid 30s), and after deluding myself for about 18-24 months I could get a job as an Engineer, I (I think anyway) fell on my feet and got a job as an Instrument Tech, best work ever, did have loads of previous practical skills. In later jobs I had to get my basic Electrical quals in the bag, 16th, 2391, 2400. :)

Hi.

I was like you a couple of years ago.

I got 100% at almost every C&G exam when I did 2365, so I decided to keep studying, as like you I like learning.

For your case, I wholeheartedly recommend having a look at doing a degree with Open University. It’s tailored to mature students, people who are already in the industry that want to get the corresponding degree, etc. It also starts at the very beginning, so it’s perfect if you’ve been out of school for a while/didn’t get A-levels/you’re not quite sure whether or not you can hack it.

It’s also designed for part time students, so you can keep working at the same time, as the workload is very manageable and they are quite flexible. It takes a bit longer than with a brick and mortar uni, but the degree is the same. It does require discipline, though. Once a year, you attend a residential week where they concentrate all the practical labs you’d do over the course of the year

I did my first year with open uni, and then moved to a brick and mortar uni because they offered a degree (Master) in the exact discipline I wanted (naval engineering), which Open didn’t offer.

It’s also much cheaper than other degrees.

Let me know if you need any more information, happy to help. Even though I have moved to a brick and mortar uni, I still keep in touch with the guys I did the first year.

Tbh I'm not quite sure. What I do know is I really like to learn, like a challenge and enjoy engineering generally.

Hi Guys,

Interesting read. Well I am 46 qualified electrician and now doing a desk job managing facilities companies.
Looking for a new challenge and doing HND electrical engineering.
Question is - What type of work would I pick up and what sort of salary would you expect. On guy told me he gets 60k as an engineer??

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Interesting read. Well I am 46 qualified electrician and now doing a desk job managing facilities companies.
Question is - What type of work would I pick up and what sort of salary would you expect. On guy told me he gets 60k as an engineer??

Thanks

Thanks for the info. My maths is around GCSE B/C. I had to do functional skills maths a few years ago and that's based on C/B GCSE in old money.

I think long term a degree would be better but I'm 36, no rush for that. Maybe I can do a HND and then work on my other skills to prepare for the extra year or so to complete the degree.
This is the route I took many years ago. It suited me better because the OND and HND were completed on block release and nightschool whilst I was working, I then just took one year off to complete my degree.

Hi Guys,

Thanks
As always, it depends on your experience as well as your education, and just being lucky to drop on the right role.

I'm assuming you want a technical role rather than managerial.

If you had factory or process automation experience, then software engineering is very lucrative, especially if you have good SCADA/DCS skills. I'm describing myself, and if I work in petrochem, or pharma, or nuclear, way more than 60K a year is achievable contracting.

Reply to Electrical engineering. HND vs Degree in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock