Discuss Electrical Engineering .... in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Craig2022

-
Trainee
Reaction score
Ive got a question in regards of electrical engineering and what steps I would need to take to get into that field.

My current status is electrical and my experience only being domestic based, new build homes/lodges.

There’s a few factory’s around my hometown and would like to go down the path of engineering but a lot of the factories don’t want to touch me with having no experience and being a domestic based electrician.

Is there anyone out there that has come from a similar background and managed to get into the engineering side?

I reckon if you keep pushing for a job as an assistant with an industrial firm someone will take you. Then you can gain experience and become Industrial as your dream, anyone who wants to work IMHO will get there, good luck fella.

I reckon if you keep pushing for a job as an assistant with an industrial firm someone will take you. Then you can gain experience and become Industrial as your dream, anyone who wants to work IMHO will get there, good luck fella.

Thanks for the response.

I’ve sent plenty of cv and cover letters, at least once a month I’ll resend them. Just so they remember the name incase something comes up lol

Long shot, but an option would be to find out what contractors they use and get in with them first, and then once they know you, and you know the building you stand a better chance, it's a very roundabout way, but I have had offers from factories maintenance managers whilst contracting there.

Long shot, but an option would be to find out what contractors they use and get in with them first, and then once they know you, and you know the building you stand a better chance, it's a very roundabout way, but I have had offers from factories maintenance managers whilst contracting there.

Hey Jason thanks for the reply.

I have thought about this option and only reason stopped doing it was when one company told me because I’ve no factory experience or containment it will be hard to find a company willing to put time into me. He told me the health and safety in factory’s are so strict that if you are caught not keeping to designated walkways, wearing the correct PPE in the designated areas then they don’t hesitate to have you permanently thrown off.

This being the reason I’ve gone down the road to directly contacting factory’s, as surely they would need to have some sort of host to look after you and show you around for the first couple of weeks.

It really depends where you are I guess, I started industrial in Shropshire, and there it seemed to be a case of who you knew, most the people I worked with and for was by personal introduction or reference. Electrical supervisor roles where asking for HNC qualifications, so I went and did that, it is 1year to get HNC if you already have a level 3 electrical qualification.

Edit: I did electrical and electronic engineering, and it was a really interesting course, I would highly recommend it.

Reply to Electrical Engineering .... in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock