Discuss Electrical Training in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello everyone
This is not so much a question but rather feedback.
We have just had our tenants move out of our rented house. I'm now in the process of turning this house into a training centre of sorts for electrical training. The concept is rather than do the study on boards like you see in college, this will give you first hand training, in a real setting. Of course it will be safe & controlled, run by qualified teachers. Its not so much a place to get a qualification. Rather practice on the consumer, test the house, changing sockets, lighting, help with study etc.
Your thoughts in this concept?
Thanks

Hello everyone
This is not so much a question but rather feedback.
We have just had our tenants move out of our rented house. I'm now in the process of turning this house into a training centre of sorts for electrical training. The concept is rather than do the study on boards like you see in college, this will give you first hand training, in a real setting. Of course it will be safe & controlled, run by qualified teachers. Its not so much a place to get a qualification. Rather practice on the consumer, test the house, changing sockets, lighting, help with study etc.
Your thoughts in this concept?
Thanks
Good in theory, but.

That is exactly what I was thinking of doing. A great idea. It is something that is badly needed for many who do a quick course and need a certain polish before going out and experimenting on others houses. I was thinking of approaching the council and offering free house rewires or something like that with the trainee in mind. In my experience unless you are watching them like hawks whatever can go wrong will. There are a lot of professional idiots out there. Good site and safety induction a must! Then I was also thinking of buying a house and doing the same. Anyway a good idea and post up on here, with some vids maybe, on progress and so on? Shame I am so far away. Used to live in Hornchurch and work around the area wiring houses many years ago.

That is exactly what I was thinking of doing. A great idea. It is something that is badly needed for many who do a quick course and need a certain polish before going out and experimenting on others houses. I was thinking of approaching the council and offering free house rewires or something like that with the trainee in mind. In my experience unless you are watching them like hawks whatever can go wrong will. There are a lot of professional idiots out there. Good site and safety induction a must! Then I was also thinking of buying a house and doing the same. Anyway a good idea and post up on here, with some vids maybe, on progress and so on? Shame I am so far away. Used to live in Hornchurch and work around the area wiring houses many years ago.
Appreciate the reply, it is unique & will require a lot of work to get it in shape, and to do it around work. great feedback. Cheers

Its a good idea, Wish you could get certain stroma inspector in mine area to join your trainies before he passes another property which I have failed with more then 8 C1s and C2s (8x this year so far). I think your main problem is a cost or funding as unless you are doing training when young your qualification costs quite a lot and there is always a question of paying even more. Then your insurance would be massive as you are signing-off somebody's else's work.

In principle I'm all in favour of more training, it's an interesting idea and I'm not saying anything against it. I wonder, though, how one would convince the people who most need the training to take up something voluntarily. Those who really care about their work will learn anyway, those who don't might not relish paying for what seems like a kick-start to an apprenticeship that they probably don't want to do anyway.

Do you have a rigid syllabus in mind or more of a 'support group' scenario where people bring along their troubles and concerns that they have left over from (or can't get enough support with) on their course?

If that's a butt, what on earth is a butt splice? I thought it was a joiner for smoke-ends to make them up into a complete cigarette.

In principle I'm all in favour of more training, it's an interesting idea and I'm not saying anything against it. I wonder, though, how one would convince the people who most need the training to take up something voluntarily. Those who really care about their work will learn anyway, those who don't might not relish paying for what seems like a kick-start to an apprenticeship that they probably don't want to do anyway.

Do you have a rigid syllabus in mind or more of a 'support group' scenario where people bring along their troubles and concerns that they have left over from (or can't get enough support with) on their course?
Interesting thoughts, I remember being on a course a while back, my 2391 there were a lot of people on the practical that just didn't have the confidence or experience. Like a rabbit caught in the headlights, it woke them up that its more difficult than they ever imagined. The college were doing refresher days, I was on one of these refresher days to get a feel of it. My thinking is that there are people who start this trade from new, or even guys from different backgrounds who have chosen to do these courses without a lot of experience, generally they don't have the experience but want to get the qualification. They need some confidence & awareness, real world experience is good for this. I want to offer real world refresher courses & courses for beginners/DIY who want to get better at the trade, work safe etc. Level 2 inspection & testing refresher training etc. .... that is my thoughts on this I'm still digging deep into my brain to see if this is viable enough

Reply to Electrical Training in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net