Discuss Emergency tax in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Millwalljoe

Hi iv just got my self a apprentiship with a company and im self employed iv worked my first month on emergency tax and was charged 30% insted of 20% i now have my utr number and will hand into my employer
Im only 16 so new to this stuff my utr number was under the CIS ( construction industry scheme) how do i go about claiming my tax back for that month do i have to wait till febuary?
Thanks for the help

Payroll should implement your tax code with the next months pay and that should sort it out - oops missed the SE bit. Yes it will be after the end if the tax year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe I doubt that in between now and February you will earn over the £10K tax limit. All the tax you pay from now until then will be refundable. Please keep all your receipts for tools, expenses etc for the end of the tax year and get a cheap local accountant to do your books for this year. No point in paying £400 to an accountant to claim a £300 tax rebate!

Joe I doubt that in between now and March you will earn over the £10,600 tax free limit. All the tax you pay from now until then will be refundable. Please keep all your receipts for tools, expenses etc for the end of the tax year and get a cheap local accountant to do your books for this year. No point in paying £400 to an accountant to claim a £300 tax rebate!

Corrected that for you

i thought to be self-employed you needed to have more than 1 source of employment to be SE according to HMRC.

Firstly CIS and emergency tax are completely different things. Emergenct tax is PAYE. The 30% CIS is for non-registered Subcontractors.

As said, there isn't really a such thing as a Self-Employed Apprentice. They are completely wrong to pay you this way - as an employee you should receive all the benefits of an employee with a Contract of Employment. They are breaking the law.

Last edited:
Unless the op misprinted his age how the hell can a 16year old be self employed and having to pay for his own electrical apprenticeship he's setting out on??

I dont know what your saying lol im 16 in a appretiship but self employed its a good firm who have taken me on and teach me loads they have put me in for a ECS course free help me wiyh accountants ect just need a dumbed down version of what they say haha i have to pay for my course because im self employed but my boss helps me pay the course he has 4 other apprentices and have got 4 others who have passed and are fully qualifed so his now a cowboy

I dont know what your saying lol im 16 in a appretiship but self employed

You aren't self-employed.

It may be the case that you are being paid as a Subcontractor, but you aren't one and therefore cannot be self-employed. You are an employee, but the Company are illegally trying to remove your employment rights through fraudulent self-employment.

Joe I doubt that in between now and February you will earn over the £10K tax limit. All the tax you pay from now until then will be refundable. Please keep all your receipts for tools, expenses etc for the end of the tax year and get a cheap local accountant to do your books for this year. No point in paying £400 to an accountant to claim a £300 tax rebate!

Assuming he's not earned anything else so far this year.

Straight up your boss is a cowboy! Sounds like he's cutting all sorts of costs to line his own pocket and screw you whilst making it sound like he's doin you a favour. Bottom line is you can't be self employed and an apprentice. You should be a paye employee receiving Wages, stamp paid, holiday pay, courses paid, fully insured. Quite frankly in my eyes your boss is a ****!!

Reply to Emergency tax in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net