Discuss Fit 13 amp socket to underside of worktop? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

ALH

Hello all. I hope you can help with a question before our new washing machine arrives tomorrow.

I've got a switch above the worktop and an unswitched socket on the walll underneath.

After taking some measurements of the new machine the water supply connection will be in exactly the same position as the wall socket! With the plug fitted, because of the depth of the machine, it will stick out a bit too much for our liking.

So I have a couple of options - fit a fused spur instead of the unswitched socket which will give a bit more space, or (!) fitting a socket to the underside of the worktop. I quite like this idea as the plug will be very easily accessible if I need to change a fuse. However, I'm not sure if it is OK to do this as I would then have a DP switch - spur - socket. Not sure either if it is safe to fit a socket to the underside of the worktop.. Would be very grateful for your advice.

Thanks,
Al

easiest would be a fused spur to replace the socket. you have local isolation with the D/P switch.

How about fitting a socket at the back of an adjacent cupboard?

It is preferable not to have electrical accessories close to water supply/drainage connections.

The new machine may have a moulded plug and if you cut this off then you could void the warrenty I suppose, which would be the downside there.

I'm assuming the single socket is flush? if it is how would you propose to extend the cables to have it fit on the underside of the counter?

How about fitting a socket at the back of an adjacent cupboard?

It is preferable not to have electrical accessories close to water supply/drainage connections.

Unfortunately the nearest cupboard is the one with all the plumbing in, sink above. If I fitted it to the underside of worktop it would be away from any possible leaks from above.

Al

Al

The new machine may have a moulded plug and if you cut this off then you could void the warrenty I suppose, which would be the downside there.

I'm assuming the single socket is flush? if it is how would you propose to extend the cables to have it fit on the underside of the counter?

I'm pretty sure I read something in the manual about removing the plug if necessary, so dont think that would be a problem. The existing socket is flush mounted.
I would replace this with an unfused spur, add a short length of cable inside trunking to a new socket on the underside of the worktop. But this would mean that I would have a switch, then a spur, then a socket.

The worktop is high enough to allow fitting a mounting box and switch between it and the top of the machine.

Thanks,
Al

Last edited by a moderator:
you could do it that way, but i would not fit a fused spur. remove socket front, join new cable with wagos and fit a blank plate. alternatinely. dig the cable out of the wall and divert it in trunking to the new location, if it's long enough.

Well if the manual says you can remove the plug then the easiest way is a FCU spur, the only down to that is if you ever need to remove the machine you have to keep disconnecting it.

So suppose the question is how often will you need to remove the machine.

Why not a DP 20A switch to replace the existing outlet, supplying the relocated switched outlet, at least that will get rid of the double fuse situation. Not that i like any outlets fitted to kitchen cabinets, but as this is existing, and not many options open to you, i guess it's ''needs must''!! lol!!!

Reply to Fit 13 amp socket to underside of worktop? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net