Discuss furious!! call me Mr McFury in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

elsparko

my phone has been off since friday (personal phone), got a txt yesterday when i turned it on sayin that there was callouts and that my phone should be switched on and charged!

1. there isnt an on call rota even though ive mentioned it
2. ive been doing the callouts for about 3 months prior, no time off at xmas and about 30 callouts over 20december to 6th jan
3. dont get paid a retainer to be on standby

i thought i would be calmer when i woke u today but do you lot think i should stick this job where the sun doesnt shine? been offered a new start on monday so got another job to go to

my phone has been off since friday (personal phone), got a txt yesterday when i turned it on sayin that there was callouts and that my phone should be switched on and charged!

1. there isnt an on call rota even though ive mentioned it
2. ive been doing the callouts for about 3 months prior, no time off at xmas and about 30 callouts over 20december to 6th jan
3. dont get paid a retainer to be on standby

i thought i would be calmer when i woke u today but do you lot think i should stick this job where the sun doesnt shine? been offered a new start on monday so got another job to go to
3 no retainer for being on call, if they want an "on call" to work thensurelya payment should be made, along with phone usage etc, if none is forthcoming then don't do it simple really, especially, if like you say, you have another job to go to, shove the on call where the Sun don't shine.

my heart is telling me to take my tools out the van and dump it outside the office

my brain is telling me to argue, for flexing up lights on chains in a shed my boss asked why i cant use twin and earth from the pendant to the light fitting

its a buildup of things but this is going to be the straw that breaks the camels back i think

tried to get me to connect up a gas cooker other week!

IT depends on your commitment to your job. If your grateful to your employer that you have employment and are committed to improving the company you work for and want to progress, and make more money then keep your phone on.

If you think of it as just a job. Clock on clock off. Good luck, I don't think there are electrical jobs out there like that.

IT depends on your commitment to your job. If your grateful to your employer that you have employment and are committed to improving the company you work for and want to progress, and make more money then keep your phone on.

If you think of it as just a job. Clock on clock off. Good luck, I don't think there are electrical jobs out there like that.
i work to live, not live to work

there are 2 other sparkies at the company, both time served that have done 1 or 2 callouts each since xmas

when 1 of the plumbers needs a driver its usually me as he doesnt drive

im only just away to sit my FICA so should not be basically running an electrical company

i make PLENTY of profit for them through the week

Only you know whether you should leave or not; you don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire. And you don't want to have a list of different short term employments on your CV.

Perhaps you should speak to your employer, before making your decision.

Alarm bells ringing.
i refused to do it, so did the other sparky

got moaned at down the phone "can you not just connect it" , had to drive to the office to pick up a plumber (not gas safe) who was willing to connect it up.

for the stage im at in my apprenticeship i think im fairly knowledgeable, but i do not know everything and would like a boss/colleague that i could ask questions to when things do arise

my heart is telling me to take my tools out the van and dump it outside the office

my brain is telling me to argue, for flexing up lights on chains in a shed my boss asked why i cant use twin and earth from the pendant to the light fitting

its a buildup of things but this is going to be the straw that breaks the camels back i think

tried to get me to connect up a gas cooker other week!
Your Boss sounds like a right S--- Head, taking you for a ride Mate, if you let him continue taking the rise, it will be your undoing, walk away if you have another job to walk in to, your Boss will promiss to change his ways just to keep you on, I had one like that when I started out, after finishing my Apprenticeship, I jacked my job, best thing I ever did, you can get comfortable in a job like that, because the more you let him get away with things, the worse Tradesman you become.

If its any consolation, you are not the first or will be the last to be taken 'advantage of'. I started my apprenticeship when I was 16. Soon as I past my test at 17 & got a car, I worked at jobs some distance from home and never got paid mileage. Not long after that, I was sent to small jobs on my own, using my car. I complained and asked for company van and got moved onto site work for a couple of years, before going back to jobbing. Never got a van, and left the company soon as I completed my apprenticeship. Suppose they got their monies worth, out of their apprentice.

Its all part of life's rich tapestry. :)

You should be getting payment for “being” on call, regardless of whether your called out. If called out, you should also be paid from leaving home to returning inclusive.(outside your normal working hours)
If you’ve got another fix, then I’d threaten to leave unless things improve.
Plus if it’s your own personal phone, then you have no obligation to use it for the company’s benefit (unless you’ve been paid an allowance for its use)

no allowance paid for my personal phone, which is why im so annoyed , like who do they think they are?

my last boss was pretty good, if you did need to take your own car he let you fill up your tank at his diesel pump for free, rarely had to do this though and no it wasnt red diesel lol

most nights i have about 2 hours of paperwork to do that is unpaid , i know i can get equal money for less stress

no allowance paid for my personal phone, which is why im so annoyed , like who do they think they are?

my last boss was pretty good, if you did need to take your own car he let you fill up your tank at his diesel pump for free, rarely had to do this though and no it wasnt red diesel lol

most nights i have about 2 hours of paperwork to do that is unpaid , i know i can get equal money for less stress
Seriously.....they are taking the mickey!

Seriously.....they are taking the mickey!
definitely seems that way, i think for the sake of my bosses health i should email my notice , if i do it in person i may just armwrestle him.

I would say don't burn your bridges. Give notice according to your contract. The other job offer should wait if they are genuine. That way you could always go back cap in hand and beg for your old job. Also you can get a reference from them. And your new empoyers will note that you do things the right way.

Reply to furious!! call me Mr McFury in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net