Discuss Garage and House Circuits—problems with circuit breaker tripping in Garage in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

My main feed comes into the garage, feeds into the meter and then out to another box with a 60AMP fuse then into the house consumer unit. There are tails feeding the consumer unit in the garage, which up until recently didn't have any RCD protection. As part of a recent consumer unit upgrade in the house, the electricians installed an 80AMP RCD in the garage CU , which now trips whenever there is any power flowing though it. I can use the light circuits in the garage, but whenever I add circuits, the RCD trips. Strangely, I can have light in the garage and when I put the toaster on in the House Kitchen, the garage RCD trips. Electrician is calling back later today, and I am calling the supplier to come and look at upgrading the supply and main fuses. However, even with an upgrade to the incoming supply, I still think the problem will be the same. All circuits are testing okay, i.e. no leakage, the concern seems to be load.

Attachments

• 20230130_085446.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited by a moderator:
The photo is not high enough resolution for me to see very much, but for a start it looks like a Wylex RCD has been fitted to another make of consumer unit - they should not be mixed - which raises a concern. Your description sounds like maybe a N to E short somewhere, and the testing done as part of the work should have found such issues - was any testing actually done?

That rcd they fitted is not compatible with the enclosure it needs to be a Hager device not Wylex.

I already asked, they said it would not make any difference. However, I'll seek an opinion directly from Hagar.
You don't need to seek an opinion from Hager what they have done is non compliant so I would actually question their competence, it is also a Type AC rcd which are all but excluded from BS7671. Does the cover actually still fit correctly the rcd looks out of line from the mcbs.

Last edited:
You don't need to seek an opinion from Hager what they have done is non compliant so I would actually question their competence, it is also a Type AC rcd which are all but excluded from BS7671. Does the cover actually still fit correctly the rcd looks out of line from the mcbs.
Yes, the cover for the CU in the garage fitted with the RCD fitted, however, they have now removed the RCD, and I am back to where I started. I'll send a picture of the new consumer unit in the house.

Yes, the cover for the CU in the garage fitted with the RCD fitted, however, they have now removed the RCD, and I am back to where I started. I'll send a picture of the new consumer unit in the house.

Are you employing a proper electrician to do this work?

Did he not give you the surge protection option at the consumer unit.

• Optimistic
Reactions: DPG
Some posts have been removed. Did you say the electrician has now removed the RCD?

Some posts have been removed. Did you say the electrician has now removed the RCD?
See #9 the only post removed was a duplicate.

Reactions: DPG
Yes, the RCD in the garage has now been removed, an RCD in the garage would be the ideal solution. When I am using the garden strimmer plugged into one of the garage sockets, the RCD in house trips regularly. That was the whole point of upgrading the CU. It's not the strimmer, as I have two, and it happens with both of them. So, in the process of trying to solve one problem, I introduced another. The current situation is the better of the two problems, I can live with the house RCD tripping occasionally but not the garage as there is an alarm, electric garage door and outside lighting all coming from the garage CU.

Reply to Garage and House Circuits—problems with circuit breaker tripping in Garage in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net