• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
  • If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Garden electrics, advice and possible work please in the Electrical Work Up For Grabs |Electrical Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need to run some power in my garden. Depending on what’s required I might be looking for an electrician to do the work. The cable run is about 30m and I want around 4 double sockets along it.
The questions are,
Can I spur it from an existing internal socket? Keeping the spur on the inside.

If I use SWA do I have to bury it?

If I cut a channel out the patio to lay the SWA, does it then have to be inside containment before I concrete and tile over the top of it?

If I don’t use SWA can I run the cable inside metal copex then concrete over it?

I’m in Hertfordshire and will probably want a couple of quotes for the work.

Thanks in advance guys

Steve.

What are the 4 sockets for. The load of this circuit will give us more info to advise you.

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply. The sockets will be for lighting, probably only used at nighttime for a couple of hours, basic garden lights, possibly Philips hue. One of the double sockets might have a radio or similar plugged in but none of them will have any significant load.
Charlie, do you mean the earthing arrangements as in a he earthing of the circuit? I was assuming it’s earthed through the spur? Sorry if I’m missing your point.

First of all get a couple of quotes and discuss your exact requirements with the electricians.

Trying to do this without seeing the property and installation is next to impossible.

SWA can be buried direct with no additional mechanical protection required.

Charlie, do you mean the earthing arrangements as in a he earthing of the circuit? I was assuming it’s earthed through the spur? Sorry if I’m missing your point.

The earthing arrangement of the incoming supply to your house.

This this to do with your patio lights in your other thread?
Where are these 4 sockets going to be fitted? Outside, in a shed or other structure?

First of all get a couple of quotes and discuss your exact requirements with the electricians.

Trying to do this without seeing the property and installation is next to impossible.

SWA can be buried direct with no additional mechanical protection required.
Yeah I can understand that, I will ask for quotes in the appropriate section I guess?

This this to do with your patio lights in your other thread?
Where are these 4 sockets going to be fitted? Outside, in a shed or other structure?
Not really, I ran SWA for the stair lights and the sparky connected it all up. I now want sockets in the garden. The builders were too quick for me and I didn’t get the chance to run cables while they were building. I’m having to get it done now as we’re finaly getting to lay slabs. I don’t know wether to cut channels in the concrete or run the cables round the edges of the house, it would depend on being able to use the spur or not.

The sockets would be fixed to a small post, I’d bury the post to a reasonable depth and concrete them in. One of them would probably be inside a waterproof housing where I’d have the transformers for the lights and a WiFi access point, maybe some other bits too.

I would use swa run in some twin walled ducting or similar, if there's depth under your slabs. Whilst swa can be buried direct, it should be laid in some suitable substrate material, such as soft sand. The ducting would just offer some additional protection; some cable manufactures state their products should not be laid in water logged soil.

If your installing Philips Hue outdoor lighting, the drivers etc are IP67 rated. Other manufactures retail IP rated drivers, or you could use some Wiska boxes.

Hi Midwest,

Thanks for that, I’ve had a look at the twinwall, is that just like copex contractors pack? I use that for cctv and low voltage stuff. Would I be able to connect this swa to a spur from inside the house?

Thanks again

I used some of this in my own garden 'project' 50mm Twin Walled Cable Duct - Black - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/FXKVR50.html

The interior is not completely smooth as pictured, but good enough to pull through swa with the draw string. Its different to the 'contractors pack' flexible conduit, slightly more robust and smoother interior.

If I could, I would have a new circuit back to the CU. But in my case in a new build, her indoors didn't want such disruption, so power will be fed off FCU's from RFC, and lighting off existing lighting circuit (with DP isolator).

You need to liaise with your electrician.

Reply to Garden electrics, advice and possible work please in the Electrical Work Up For Grabs |Electrical Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back