Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss Given the choice? in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

chrisjh

Now i do want to be an electrician dispite all the gloom and me sending out 40 CVs and ringing people with still no luck. Searching for apprenticeships is not going well.

The question I have would you continue or would you take up one of these british gas service and repair engineers apprenticehships I keep saying all around my area. My wife says I should keep trying with the electrician thing and she is probably right but I do look and think I wonder if there is more work or better pay doing that and would I enjoy it just as much and I guess working for BG has its job security

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd take up the british gas apprenticeship.

I'm not surprised you've had no response from your 40 cv's. I was talking to the girls on our front desk and you'd be amassed how many job letters we get every day they reckon it's about 85% of mail!!! That's not taking into account the emails and telephone calls, I know we no longer respond to letters or email because we simply haven't got the man (sorry Tina, Woman) power.
I don't know the quality of the CV's as I've seen some wanting to be a spark obviously told to get of there back sides by the job centre never had a job no GCSEs etc... They know we won't have them and they can keep claiming the dole.

bite their hand off, mate. you can always study in spare time as long as you've got a decent wage coming in.

I'd take up the british gas apprenticeship.

I'm not surprised you've had no response from your 40 cv's. I was talking to the girls on our front desk and you'd be amassed how many job letters we get every day they reckon it's about 85% of mail!!! That's not taking into account the emails and telephone calls, I know we no longer respond to letters or email because we simply haven't got the man (sorry Tina, Woman) power.
I don't know the quality of the CV's as I've seen some wanting to be a spark obviously told to get of there back sides by the job centre never had a job no GCSEs etc... They know we won't have them and they can keep claiming the dole.

Is it just as hard though in the gas industry with regards to boiler repairs and what not?

I am wondering if its really that bad to be an electrician or its just a phase at the moment that will clear

I think we're all hoping it's a phase (or should that now be line lolol)?? We've recently had two large contractors go bust in this area and loads of smaller ones. We've all but given up on the domestic market because of the DI's, don't get me wrong I'm not slagging their work off, it's just there's so many of them competing for the same work. We don't stand a chance having to ad 20% on top.

I really don't know where it's going, luckily we're not too bad off for work and our company's got it's fingers in lots of pies. But like today I'm stringing out typing up a PIR just because there's nothing else todo

Got to the maths test expecting some easy questions with loads of time. I was half asleep it seems as I run out of time and reset the test to start again when I'm more alert to % questions lol

Now i do want to be an electrician dispite all the gloom and me sending out 40 CVs and ringing people with still no luck. Searching for apprenticeships is not going well.

The question I have would you continue or would you take up one of these british gas service and repair engineers apprenticehships I keep saying all around my area. My wife says I should keep trying with the electrician thing and she is probably right but I do look and think I wonder if there is more work or better pay doing that and would I enjoy it just as much and I guess working for BG has its job security

Go to fish counter in supermarket - pick up the largest fish there - slap yourself with it; for giving up so easily. It took me well over 150 applications to get a job. Remember: winners ain't quitters, and quitters ain't winners!!!

Forget the Gas apprentaship, get a electrical apprentaship with british gas as they also do sparks, do a post serch as there was a nice lady on here a few days ago from BG looking for applicants, beware, it is all house bashing tho so make sure its for you

Go to fish counter in supermarket - pick up the largest fish there - slap yourself with it; for giving up so easily. It took me well over 150 applications to get a job. Remember: winners ain't quitters, and quitters ain't winners!!!

You know that helped me see sense Thanks

I didnt apply and will continue on with being an electrician

And they appear to have more fun. :D

[video=youtube;JsGye4NLcQU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsGye4NLcQU[/video]

FYI BG "Apprenticeships" if you start aged 18 or over it costs you £16K but on the upside 16K invested in an actual employer who DOES have jobs at the end of it and isnt just interested in making money from ppl with empty promises is better than one of the 6week wonder courses

Reply to Given the choice? in the Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net