Discuss Heating a large office in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

oscar21

Esteemed
Reaction score
How would you go about this realistically, the office is open plan and about 15m x 7M, grid ceiling with loft space above, windows and insulation is not the best and there are two offices, all single story with a central communal area with reception, toilet, kitchen etc.

The client wants 8 x 2kW panel heaters in each office, for a start that's way too many heaters, its about 140A draw if they are all on but there must be a better way other than panel heaters to heat large spaces such as this. There is a big gas main coming in but its blanked off. Should they be getting aircon/heat pump installed whilst they still can easily before the refurb is completed?

I expect most recent A/C can operate as heat pumps for heating as well, not only making things comfortable in summer but saving a fortune in heating costs in winter. I think most have a COP of about 3, so you get about 3kW of heat from 1kW input, etc.

air conditioning would be the normal way of heating a large office space.
Thats what I thought, I know panel heaters are cheap to install but the running costs are horrendous, 16kw per office (think it needs half that myself), what is a commercial rate nowadays? I was hearing stories of £1 per kWh recently.

Reply to Heating a large office in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I have a client with a small caravan site, approx 5 hookups. His old toilet block was nothing much more than an old shed. He's now 'upgraded'...
Replies
Views
I own a top floor tenement flat that I used to live in and then rented out after I married. It is currently empty whilst some work is being done...
Replies
Views
At some point in the next several months I need to look at heating for an "anti-vandal site office" used as store and occasional workshop, 3m x...
Replies
Views
About 15 years ago, after having had a modern consumer unit fitted, and prompted by our electrician, I asked my then energy supplier (Tonik) if...
Replies
Views
Beware a little long. I served an electrical apprenticeship a long time ago, then went back to full time education immediately moving away from...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock