Discuss Hello can you help me fix my house? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Myady1

-
Reaction score
I dont know much about electrics.
Here is the issue.

Electric tripping (not blowing) consistently after about 1.5 hrs.

We narrowed it down to one of the fuzes on the box. When we turn that off the rest is fine. We have unplugged everything systematically from that line to try and find out what it is but nothing seems to be stopping it from tripping.

Whats on the line is the kitchen, and study, so not the boiler.

What would you look for next? Do we find the cables to check for rat bites? (or would this make it trip instantly? Not worth doing?)

Could it be the box / commercial unit?

We called out an electrician once and he disconnected the outside light that was on that line too, but still tripping, and we cant really affort to get out another one.

If you could help me at all that would be hugely appreciated. My dad wants to pull up the floorboards and check the cables. So any advice if this is a good idea or not, or what you would do. Any help would be great really.

Hi - sorry to hear your first Electrician didn't fix the fault. I'm thinking you may still have an appliance connected to the circuit as per @Top Cat . Look for any sneaky fused outlets. Has there been any holes drilled in the wall lately?

Hi, Thanks for replies.

Yes we did get a sparkie. he said it was on the nutral side, not the live side. Not sure what that means really. And he unplugged the outside light leaving just all the stuff plugged in in the kitchen and study and 1 bedroom on the line which we then turned off. I didnt know that about having to actually unplug them so thats really handy. Ill unplugg everything again and see.

We have had some leaks in the bathroom recently which I thought had been fixed. So if it still trips after I unplug everthing from the socket, does that mean it must be some sort of water in the walls. What does it mean that its neutral? does that mean its an applience? Or could it possibly be water damage still? The fact that it trips after 1 - 2 hours, makes me worry that its water damage which would be very expensive to fix I guess.
Also Im in south wales, near carmarthen. Thanks again

Welcome, What is it that is tripping, RCD, or MCB? Whatever your House sounds like it needs testing by a competent Electrician, did the Electrician carry out any tests, or was it a hit and miss sort of job?

Any idea how old your electrical installation is?
and as @Pete999 says what is actually “tripping”? Post some pics up........but bare in mind it’s nearly Friday evening o_O

Last edited:
.but bare in mind it’s neatly Friday evening
Hello can you help me fix my house? {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

beer oclock for some people ,and wine for the gentry people ,what what .

It's the gray one in the middle that's tripping only. 1991 electrics were done. And the electirican didn't do a full check, we thought it was the outside light at that point.

methink OP should ost his location, may be 1 of us reprobates colud be close and pop over for nominal fee (few pints diesel and a couple gallons beer. , or is that wrong way round? )to investigate

bloody big area is wales. i could only cover the north, anywhere south of wrecsam is bandit country to me.

Reply to Hello can you help me fix my house? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock