Discuss Help converting 3 prong dryer outlet to 4 prong. Which Outlet Box? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I recently purchased a used clothes dryer, it came with 4 prong cord. Rather than change the cord, I figured it would be better to upgrade the outlet from 3 prong socket, since the existing wiring includes all 4 wires. Bought new outlet, and was dismayed to discover that the width of plastic casing where wires are connected is wider than the corresponding 3 prong outlet. Not just a tight fit for the wires, unfortunately, the old 2 inch wide outlet box is not wide enough to hold the back side of new 4 prong outlet. Here is a picture:
Help converting 3 prong dryer outlet to 4 prong. Which Outlet Box? DryerOutlet - EletriciansForums.net

The outlet box is attached to a spur stud with 3 nails, through the back of the box. There is a 2x4 between the two outlet boxes, but the open outlet box is not attached directly to the 2x4. I pulled the wire down, so you can have an idea of how much slack I have to work with. The outlet box is 1 7/8 inch deep. The back side of outlet needs about 1 7/8 of depth in outlet.

I don't mind cutting the drywall to make room for a wider box, and you have probably already guessed that appearance isn't high on the priority list.

If there are no good options, I could go back to 3 prong outlet and change the cord to match outlet, but I would prefer moving forwards to backwards. In case all the mentions of inches didn't give it away, this is in the USA.

Any recommendations?

I recently purchased a used clothes dryer, it came with 4 prong cord. Rather than change the cord, I figured it would be better to upgrade the outlet from 3 prong socket, since the existing wiring includes all 4 wires. Bought new outlet, and was dismayed to discover that the width of plastic casing where wires are connected is wider than the corresponding 3 prong outlet. Not just a tight fit for the wires, unfortunately, the old 2 inch wide outlet box is not wide enough to hold the back side of new 4 prong outlet. Here is a picture:
View attachment 60692

The outlet box is attached to a spur stud with 3 nails, through the back of the box. There is a 2x4 between the two outlet boxes, but the open outlet box is not attached directly to the 2x4. I pulled the wire down, so you can have an idea of how much slack I have to work with. The outlet box is 1 7/8 inch deep. The back side of outlet needs about 1 7/8 of depth in outlet.

I don't mind cutting the drywall to make room for a wider box, and you have probably already guessed that appearance isn't high on the priority list.

If there are no good options, I could go back to 3 prong outlet and change the cord to match outlet, but I would prefer moving forwards to backwards. In case all the mentions of inches didn't give it away, this is in the USA.

Any recommendations?
@acumengineer that metal box has got to come out and you can go to Home Depot or Lowe’s and buy a single gang plastic box and a 4 prong receptacle. Once you start on it you have to bring it up to the 2020 edition NEC. As it is right now the bare ground wire is being used as a neutral which you are obligated to fix. You might have to trim the sheet rock to fit the plastic box in the wall.

Reply to Help converting 3 prong dryer outlet to 4 prong. Which Outlet Box? in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock