Discuss A couple of basic questions regarding installing an outside outlet... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

lrubin28

DIY
Reaction score
I've done some basic wiring, but nothing beyond. I know enough to shut off the circuit.

I have no basement or garage, so when I work with a table saw or mitre saw, I have to go outside to a patio area where I run an extension cord to an outlet inside. After 30 years, time to finally add an outlet!! The existing outlet inside is on a wall perpendicular to the outside wall where I want to put the new outlet - but it's only about 18 - 20 inches away. The metal outlet box has a cable coming in from the top left corner and the top right corner. My questions are;
1) If I take out the existing metal box and using a long bit extension drill directly to the left to the outside wall I think I might hit a door frame where I wouldn't want to put the new outlet. I want to go another foot over again to the left. Are 2x4s from the door frame going to mess things up? How do I make that 90 degree turn to get to a new box?
2) There are 3 light switches a couple feet above the existing outlet - I assume that would be unrelated?
3) And finally the existing outlet has no ground so I have to use a 3 prong adapter. I imagine that's not a good thing - I don't know if there is a ground wire coming but other areas of the house have 3 prong outlets. If I can't find a ground wire, I assume it means I shouldn't even install a new outlet that connects to this one?

I'd appreciate any info people are willing to share. Thanks!

Tbh after reading 3 I would just say you should deffo not add anything from a socket with no earth. Before doing anything turn the circuit off and check that there is an earth. If there is then
1) it's hard to conseptualise what you are saying but I'll try - you can only drill at an angle you can drill at. I can't think of any tricks around that. Door frame might be a nuisance with SDS bit but perseverance always wins! Just be sure not to go through anything crazy.
An idea might be to drill from socket to somewhere outside. Then where that hole comes out drill another to the wall that you want the socket on! Maybe cover those holes with a small conduit box or something easy.
2) just make sure that you ain't drilling directly below the switch. If you need to then check the switch to see where cables are going.
3) yeah as said before make sure there is an earth. Deffo done do anything without an earth

Tbh after reading 3 I would just say you should deffo not add anything from a socket with no earth. Before doing anything turn the circuit off and check that there is an earth. If there is then
1) it's hard to conseptualise what you are saying but I'll try - you can only drill at an angle you can drill at. I can't think of any tricks around that. Door frame might be a nuisance with SDS bit but perseverance always wins! Just be sure not to go through anything crazy.
An idea might be to drill from socket to somewhere outside. Then where that hole comes out drill another to the wall that you want the socket on! Maybe cover those holes with a small conduit box or something easy.
2) just make sure that you ain't drilling directly below the switch. If you need to then check the switch to see where cables are going.
3) yeah as said before make sure there is an earth. Deffo done do anything without an earth

I'm not certain but I seem to remember Megawatt saying that sockets can be used without a ground if they are suitably labelled. Hopefully he'll be online soon with some good info.

@Megawatt can verify however I believe existing outlets can be used with no ground provided they have GFCI however different circumstances may require different things. This is a US based question and unless you are 100% I would steer clear.

I've done some basic wiring, but nothing beyond. I know enough to shut off the circuit.

I have no basement or garage, so when I work with a table saw or mitre saw, I have to go outside to a patio area where I run an extension cord to an outlet inside. After 30 years, time to finally add an outlet!! The existing outlet inside is on a wall perpendicular to the outside wall where I want to put the new outlet - but it's only about 18 - 20 inches away. The metal outlet box has a cable coming in from the top left corner and the top right corner. My questions are;
1) If I take out the existing metal box and using a long bit extension drill directly to the left to the outside wall I think I might hit a door frame where I wouldn't want to put the new outlet. I want to go another foot over again to the left. Are 2x4s from the door frame going to mess things up? How do I make that 90 degree turn to get to a new box?
2) There are 3 light switches a couple feet above the existing outlet - I assume that would be unrelated?
3) And finally the existing outlet has no ground so I have to use a 3 prong adapter. I imagine that's not a good thing - I don't know if there is a ground wire coming but other areas of the house have 3 prong outlets. If I can't find a ground wire, I assume it means I shouldn't even install a new outlet that connects to this one?

I'd appreciate any info people are willing to share. Thanks!
It’s tricky fishing wire through walls but if you are trying to go around a door frame you will have trouble. With out pictures it’s hard to say but can you not move over a couple of inches and drill through the whole wall. Where ever the bit comes out then add your receptacle there. You really need to pull that old metal box out and add a plastic box anyway.

Reply to A couple of basic questions regarding installing an outside outlet... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net