Discuss Hot Water Cylinder Stat Wiring Question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Came across a Heatrae Sadia hot water cylinder in my travels and was intrigued as to why the single phase supply was wired through two stats before going to the element terminal.

Enquired with a colleague who said one stat is used for temperature cut out and the other for temperature regulation. That's fine I thought, but both stats have a manual temperature dial on them, which seems wrong. Surely the intention is to wire a dedicated temp cutout as well as the adjustable temp control stat, not two temp control stats.

I was advised to set one at maximum temp for the cutout and the other set at the desired tap point temp, either one or the other, it shouldn't matter.

So my question is, if I've got one stat set at say 80 degrees and the other set at 40-50 degrees, how is the desired 40-50 degrees regonised and not instead the 80 degrees?!

Well the 40-50 degrees stat will cut out before the temp gets to 80 degrees....therefore that stat will always operate first. If it fails then the higher rated stat will cut out before the water boils.

That's what I'm thinking, it can't exactly be an ideal setup for this kind of installation.

Would it be better than to install a dedicated temp cut out stat in series with the manually controllable dial temp stat?

In retrospect, after checking other Heatrae Sadia cylinders in the same building they're all setup the same way, line in through manual dial temp stat through to the next stat, which has the reset button on it.

Last edited:
Probably the reason that they both have a setting dial is that they use the overheat cutouts in several different applications, so it's cheaper for the Manufacturer if they make 1 adjustable stat rather than several different pre-set stats.

Okay, I see what you're saying, but these stats didn't come with the cylinders from the factory, they're two different brands, the regulator stat is Cotherm and the one being used as a fail safe is Sunvic inserted in a Heatrae cylinder.

So it seems as though this was the route taken by the original installer and as a few have already stated, it's not exactly the correct way to do things, although it does work.

Hmm...

Last edited:
Ok: Just because the stats are of different manufacture does'nt mean they are'nt original, Manufacturers often source components from different maufacturers. If for example Co-Therm did'nt make a resetable stat of the type Heatrae needed then they'd source them elsewhere. Domestic appliance manufacturers are notorious for doing this.

Reply to Hot Water Cylinder Stat Wiring Question in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net