• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss House consumer unit to garage consumer unit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Jbol1985

New EF Member
Hi all

I’m planning to install a consumer unit in my garage. The unit will eventually power a 32amp hot tub, 2 double sockets and a small lighting circuit.
The distance from the house CU to garage CU will be about 10m. I plan to run single cables through 20mm steel conduit under my concrete drive once I cut a channel which will exit in the garage.

1. Is it advisable to run singles or T&E through the 20mm conduit?

2. What size cable is preferable (10mm)?

3. What size RCD/ RCBO should I use in the house CU to supple the garage consumer unit (50amp)?

I am an ex electrician who has been a naval engineer for 12 years now so I’m confident I can complete the work myself. Any advise/ comments on my 3 questions would be really helpful. Thanks

Matthewd29

Regular EF Member
Hello. Use swa it is easier and elimates need for rcd protection at house end. Cables size all depends on what your going to do in the shed

Pete999

Forum Mentor
Hi all

I’m planning to install a consumer unit in my garage. The unit will eventually power a 32amp hot tub, 2 double sockets and a small lighting circuit.
The distance from the house CU to garage CU will be about 10m. I plan to run single cables through 20mm steel conduit under my concrete drive once I cut a channel which will exit in the garage.

1. Is it advisable to run singles or T&E through the 20mm conduit?

2. What size cable is preferable (10mm)?

3. What size RCD/ RCBO should I use in the house CU to supple the garage consumer unit (50amp)?

I am an ex electrician who has been a naval engineer for 12 years now so I’m confident I can complete the work myself. Any advise/ comments on my 3 questions would be really helpful. Thanks
Any Bonding requirements ?
1 Don't use conduit the cable size will be limited
2 Have you done any calculations to ascertain what size cable will be required?
3 The choice of OCPD size depends on far to many imponderables to just guess, employ an electrician to design and install this installation for you.

Midwest

Electrician's Arms
I'm thinking this might be notifiable? You can do what you want in your own house; but ask the residents of Poundbury about that :)

Jbol1985

New EF Member
Hello. Use swa it is easier and elimates need for rcd protection at house end. Cables size all depends on what your going to do in the shed
Thanks for your reply.
Not 100% certain on the earthing arrangements planning on just using the earth from the home CU. Decided I’m gonna use SWA (10mm) through a small duct as I also want to run a cctv cat5 along side it.
Been reading through my 17th edition & part p but still not clear on the calculations as it’s been a while. what size RCD/ MCB to use at the house end to supply the garage CU as I’ll be powering a 32amp hot tub from the garage CU?

Rob

Control System Engineer
Respected Member
Thanks for your reply.
Not 100% certain on the earthing arrangements planning on just using the earth from the home CU. Decided I’m gonna use SWA (10mm) through a small duct as I also want to run a cctv cat5 along side it.
Been reading through my 17th edition & part p but still not clear on the calculations as it’s been a while. what size RCD/ MCB to use at the house end to supply the garage CU as I’ll be powering a 32amp hot tub from the garage CU?
We are on the 18th edition now.

An this is all very basic.

I suggest employing someone competent to design and install for you. We can't offer step by step guides on here, against forum rules.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.