Discuss How many downlights in the kitchen? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sam3006

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

Having a new kitchen fitted and was hoping for some advice please. How many LED downlights do I need? Will likely be using these linked below (9W, 450lm, 120° beam)

https://www.screwflix..com/p/lap-indopro-fixed-fire-rated-led-downlight-white-9w-450lm/3863x

I've attached two photos of my floor plan, one blank and one with what I was thinking (red dots would be downlights and blue line would be a light bar with two smaller tiltable downlights above the sink).

Any advice is much appriciated!

Thanks
Sam

How many downlights in the kitchen? CamScanner 01-24-2022 22.51_1 - EletriciansForums.net

How many downlights in the kitchen? Screenshot_20220124-225621_Gallery - EletriciansForums.net

There’s no right or wrong way really, and it totally depends on the kitchen units.

Personally, I start with measuring 700mm from each wall. That way, there’s some light on the floor, and some on the worktop. (The worktop being 600 from wall)
Wall units only stick out 300mm, so they won’t cast a shadow if lights are far enough in front.
However, full height larder cabinets, oven housing units and fridge freezers will be 600 from the wall all the way up, so you don’t want to lighting up just the top of one of them.

What you have drawn will probably do, but I don’t know what the item is in top corner next to door…. As mentioned, if it’s a tall item, the light will be wasted.

looks about right from here. if the unit (top right LED) is just a base unut and not a tall thing like a larder cupboard.

No one has yet mentioned your choice of light fitting. These are integrated fittings from a brand that doesn't have the greatest reputation, and aren't cheap. They also require a hole in the ceiling greater than most.
What happens when one fails? I wouldn't bet on being able to get an identical replacement in a couple of years time.

Good point thanks, I've been looking at alternatives. Currently dealing with 14 (!) downlights in the kitchen at the moment so just want to get some which will have a decent beam angle and cut it down at least half the amount of lights

I'd definitely be fitting lights underneath the wall units too... to provide 'task lighting'. And is that a blank wall that's 2.6m long ? Maybe bounce light off of that ? Eyeball downlight ?

(I should confess that I'm not a lover of the downlight... on my list underneath pull cords, grid switches and non-Appleby plasterboard boxes)

I'd definitely be fitting lights underneath the wall units too... to provide 'task lighting'. And is that a blank wall that's 2.6m long ? Maybe bounce light off of that ? Eyeball downlight ?

(I should confess that I'm not a lover of the downlight... on my list underneath pull cords, grid switches and non-Appleby plasterboard boxes)
Yep blank wall on the right apart from a radiator at some point. Only two wall units, due to the windows so I've decided against under unit lights

Yep blank wall on the right apart from a radiator at some point. Only two wall units, due to the windows so I've decided against under unit lights
So I'd defo be bouncing light off of that...

Lighting design is a complex topic, you can actually do a degree in the subject it's that complex. I only know the basic principles, but when you see a room that's been lit properly... it makes a hell of a difference.

I read somewhere about every 1.2m and agree normally about 700 from walls..
I use 1.2m spacings for a 36deg beam, 2.4m high ceiling as the beams will overlap on a standard 910mm worktop so no dark spots! Obviously different beam angles, ceiling heights will warrant different spacings to achieve overlapping beams and no dark spots.

Reply to How many downlights in the kitchen? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock