Discuss Incomplte ring circuit - urgent help please in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have just installed all new electrics to a new kitchen.
Builders removed th old kitchen and part of wiring where it held them up.
However, the new ring i have installed has a know feed from one end but I am unable to locate the other end. Solid floors so all wiring under upstairs floor making it twice as hard to find.
I can therefore supply power to the whole ring but hav no return.
This is obviously not safe on 2.5t/e.

I can locate 2 j/boxes so far but pas that I amm at a loss ???:confused:

wondering why junction boxes in a new ring main. if you have all sockets power up on one leg, then you need to either find the open bit of the other leg or run a new leg back to the CU from the last socket. how many sockets are there?

looks as if he has tapped into existing ring main. ( junction boxes ) . If so, he would have an unfused spur feeding kitchen sockets. not good

could do with a bit more info on how you have wired it so far

could do with a bit more info on how you have wired it so far

The ring I have put in the new kitchen has 2g sockets x 6 and 1g sockets x 3 giving me the 2 legs to put back into the downstairs ring.
The leg originally feeding the kitchen will be where i connect one end but unable to find the return from the old kitchen. Re the 2 j/boxes - one is just a straight connection, the other was just before dropping to the kitchen with three cables in. One cable dropping to kitchen, one feeding an upstairs socket (which also has three cables in) and the third comming in from another room.

looks like Messrs Bodgit & Scarper have been there before you. I would have disconnected the old kitchen socket wiring from the existing ring and put a complete new dedicated ring from the CU solely for the kitchen

looks like Messrs Bodgit & Scarper have been there before you. I would have disconnected the old kitchen socket wiring from the existing ring and put a complete new dedicated ring from the CU solely for the kitchen

was thinking that was my best option. Just means a lot of extra work to get the ring to the other side of the house via upstairs rooms. Will also need a seperate RCBO has no room on RCD side.

Just to add a little complication - two wires into an old socket still in action in kitchen. One dropping down from underneath tiled bathroom floor and returning same way so can't get to that part.

Reply to Incomplte ring circuit - urgent help please in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net