Discuss Installing a circuit to a Summer House. (Glorified Shed) in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tencho1234

Hi,

Im just looking for a little advice on what to install, i have a summer house in the bottom of the garden which i want to run power too.

Im going to installing a new distrubution board and installing a new circuit running up the garden to the summer house im going to use armour core cable and use some electrical warning tapes i know some of the regs and am happy installing it just looking to see what fuses i should install at the distrubution board.

Im going to also install a small distrubution board in the summer house to terminate the armour cable and then install and small ring circuirt supplying a couple of twin sockets and one 13amp fused socket for a wall heater, im also going to install and simple lighting circuit with a single switch. i was going to put in a 6amp fuse for the lights and a 32amp fuse for the sockets or could i use a smaller fuse as there is only 2no twin sockets?

On the main distrubution board in the house im going to use an RCD with a 40amp fuse do you think this would be acceptable, im getting building control in to go through the process of signing off the work.

Thanks in Advance.

Tencho1234

To be honest there are so many unsked questions that to give you advice would be negligent.

What size SWA are you thinking of using? Have you calculated the length of run, the load etc
Why for 2 double sockets and a lighting circuit are you wanting to front end it with a 40 amp protection device.
Why a ring circuit for 2 double sockets.
Why are you going to protect the SWA with a RCD in the house
What overload protection are you going to give that SWA
How are you going to test the circuit to make sure it is safe, and the installation in the summer house
Do you know how to interpret the test results
Is there going to be water or gas in the summer house

These are just a few enquires that I can come up with in 5 minutes. By the time you have paid the LABC fees and they will also charge you to have an approved contractor to come in and test the install, it maybe worth having a local Part P electrician do it for you.

Ok sorry i was a bit thin with the details;

Cable run is 30mtrs using three core 4mm Armoured cable.
Im going to need to earth the instalation via the mains distrubution board im going to be using a 17th Edition board with RCD's and MCB's.
I will look at the load and have a rethink! lol

I want to get it right!

Thanks

one BIG question are you qualified to do this work and to test the installation ???

as Malcom get a local electrician to give you a price it will work out cheaper and more importantly SAFER and will comply with regulations for both electrical work and LABC notification
you could suggest you do the "Donkey work" digging track mounting sockets drilling holes for cable to keep costs down

Straight away your 4mm SWA can not be protected by a 40amp device. Which is no problem as for 2 sockets and lights you could easily get away with a 32amp device, as it is a summer house you might want to have heating in it.

That is if you use normal 70c type SWA you could use 90 XPLE so edited to correct.

Last edited:
Hi,

Im just looking for a little advice on what to install, i have a summer house in the bottom of the garden which i want to run power too.

Im going to installing a new distrubution board and installing a new circuit running up the garden to the summer house im going to use armour core cable and use some electrical warning tapes i know some of the regs and am happy installing it just looking to see what fuses i should install at the distrubution board.

Im going to also install a small distrubution board in the summer house to terminate the armour cable and then install and small ring circuirt supplying a couple of twin sockets and one 13amp fused socket for a wall heater, im also going to install and simple lighting circuit with a single switch. i was going to put in a 6amp fuse for the lights and a 32amp fuse for the sockets or could i use a smaller fuse as there is only 2no twin sockets?

On the main distrubution board in the house im going to use an RCD with a 40amp fuse do you think this would be acceptable, im getting building control in to go through the process of signing off the work.

Thanks in Advance.

Tencho1234

Tencho1234 Without wishing to sound pedantic, your terminology alone tells me that you should not be attempting this work.

There are threads on this forum running to 10's of pages concerning the intricacies of outbuilding supplies.

Do the right thing and get a member of a competent persons scheme to do the work to the required standard and ensure compliance and notification to Building Control.

Reply to Installing a circuit to a Summer House. (Glorified Shed) in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net