Discuss Is EIC required for this job (New CU & ring main) Electrician says no? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Artoo

-
Reaction score
Hi, I've contacted an electrician to install a new consumer unit, as well as a new ring main into the loft. I asked if his quote included the appropriate certification, I assume an EIC, he said "as far as certification is concerned you don't need any as it's straight replacements", I checked my local council building control regs which state that "notifiable works include a) The installation of a new circuit; b) The replacement of a consumer unit"

So is he trying to save me £480 by not making a building regs application for a £100 consumer unit? Or is he cutting corners and I should look for someone else? He appears to be legit, positive reviews on Ratedpeople and accredited by NAPIT. Could you guys advise, I don't know enough about certification to call him out on this but I don't want a cowboy job that I'll regret later..

Can anyone help?

Last edited:
Rated people, ignore this bloke, like Murdoch said get some quotes from proper Electricians, rated people. rated Chancer's would be a better description, imo.

The reason electricians register with a competent person scheme like the NICEIC, Elecsa, Napit, Stroma etc is so they don't have to pay the extortionate building control fees for notification. Find yourself an electrician who's registered with one of these schemes and get them to quote.

Last edited:
The reason electricians register with a components person scheme like the NICEIC, Elecsa, Napit, Stroma etc is so they don't have to pay the extortionate building control fees for notification. Find yourself an electrician who's registered with one of these schemes and get them to quote.
components persons schemes they can't be very component can they?

T
The reason electricians register with a components person scheme like the NICEIC, Elecsa, Napit, Stroma etc is so they don't have to pay the extortionate building control fees for notification. Find yourself an electrician who's registered with one of these schemes and get them to quote.
That's the thing, he is registered with NAPIT so I don't see why it would be an issue for him to provide the certificate. I've emailed him the building regs and questioned his assertion, but I think probably better to find someone else who isn't so cagey about certification to do the job! Thanks for the quick replies.

he said "as far as certification is concerned you don't need any as it's straight replacements",
Ask him to verify his comment by email.. I bet he doesn't.

When challenged about the certification this is the reply I got:
"I am sorry i got confused and thought your quote was someone elses that i did today as well for replacing exsisting lights , yes the fuseboard change can be certified which i can so , however this then assumes that the exsisting wiring is up to standard if any faults are found they will need to be corrected before a certificate can be issued or not connected to the fuseboard it can be a problem but let's be positive"

sounds like a genuine mistake on his part. just ask him to verify that the job will be notified to BC through Napit. most sparks will give the installation a brief inspection and test before carrying out a consumer unit change, to see if therewill be any problems arising from faults on circuits.
as an aside. I'm in Cheshire and would be happy to give you a 2nd quote. then you can decide on which to accept.

Lost in translation. Re the second bit, if your house has some dodgey faults, that's extra. Par for the course. I'm otta of here. Merry Xmas to one and all. Wonder what Santa Claus has got for me tonite. Try to sleep or not open my eyes. Wait up that's for 6 year olds not 60 year olds :(

Reply to Is EIC required for this job (New CU & ring main) Electrician says no? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net