Discuss Is this an acceptable means of earthing ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hello all,

I am doing a consumer unit upgrade for a family member in a domestic household, However i am unsure if ther earthing arrangement is up to scratch, As it is, the main eartghing conductor is clamped onto the incoming supply conduits. Southern electric have been and installed a key meter with the installation as it is, I am jib approved electrician, but im from an industrial background, Any advice from any of you guys would be greatly appreciated. I have attached some photo's for your perusal.

View attachment 34360
I work for the board, and cables like that ran in conduit are usually VIR or like someone on here has said flat lead , possibly. Usually the conduit runs next door, where their cable will be fed from there cut out. Maybe next-door has a pilc cable and they have took an earth from the pilc to the conduit to give them an earth. But not good, but a means of supplying an earth though non the less. Check next door. Do an earth loop to the conduit and see what the ze is? Looks like they have PME,d it anyway. Look at the earth cable it runs into the cut out, will most likely be terminated to the neutral block inside. A TNC-S system by the looks of it. Will need to check it though. Contact the board if in doubt. Hope this helps

Also shouldn't the earth wire on the first clamp be looped through under the screw. Not cut ends?
Not acceptable to loop (on my elec course) bonding with a cut cable.
But if the 1st pipe is actually the earth then its one cable to feed earth to the house and the second is the only bonding?
Does that make the pipe a MET :)

This is possible but there appears to be no earth coming from the head in the second picture.
looks like it to me.
img_3773-jpg.34361

Also shouldn't the earth wire on the first clamp be looped through under the screw. Not cut ends?
Not acceptable to loop (on my elec course) bonding with a cut cable.
But if the 1st pipe is actually the earth then its one cable to feed earth to the house and the second is the only bonding?
Yep, an M.E.T, in other words a Main earth terminal.if the ze is okay, but it is properly connected to the possible pilc cable next door? I've seen a few like this.

Not acceptable to loop (on my elec course) bonding with a cut cable
.[/B]

No its not a reg just considered best practise.

We have lots of supplies like that around here. Main tn-s supply into one property, then looped with vir tails in conduit to the next property. Main earth is taken from the first property via the conduit, to the second property. In fact I've been at two jobs in the past week both with exactly this arrangement.

Why isn'ta 16mm earth run in the conduit as well? Copper would ge better than steel with 2 clamps involved.

Because it was done in the era when nobody ran a copper earth or CPC if there was a steel containment available to do the job, just standard practice. Perhaps it's time to rephrase the question: "If the DNO supply arrives through a steel conduit that gives a satisfactory Ze when tested, is it adequate to terminate the EC to it with a BS951 clamp and consider the installation properly earthed?"

BTW surely that G/Y cable goes behind the wood to the CU and not into the sealing chamber / cutout?

What is the earthing system? Is it possible that the DNO have converted it to TNCS and that the earth connections we can see apparently coming from inside the cutout are actually just earthing the conduit?

Reply to Is this an acceptable means of earthing ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net