Discuss keep getting shocked at my house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

johnkarp

DIY
Reaction score
sometimes when I touch metal objects for example the washing machine, toaster etc I get a nasty shock. almost always the breakers trip, what can it be? Also I am not an electrician I am just curious as to what is the problem. The problem is not happening all the time. sometimes nothing happens and after a month the problem may randomly reapear. Once I touched a fork (thats right a fork) and the breaker tripped.)so its very weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that is dangerous and you should get someone in to check and fix is as soon as practical.

It sounds like you have two faults, one is an open/missing earth connection to one or more of the electrical appliances, and the other is a fault causing power to leak to the metalwork.

The breaker tripping when you get a shock is detecting the power going astray though your body, but the metalwork should already by earthed (grounded) so it would go to earth directly and so trip before you get a shock!

Is this a house you own or a rented house?
Has any work been done in the house around the time the issue started, new meter, work on anything electrical or plumbing or heating or building work etc?

what he said. ^^^^^. had similar last year. no earth connection to the installlation and customer getting shocks off all (metal) kitchen sockets and appliances. get yourself an electrician in urgently.

spotted that. that's why i didn't offer.could do with the cultural holiday though.

what puts me off Greece is the donkey pi$$ they drink. ouzo FFS and retsina.

Reply to keep getting shocked at my house in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, I moved home a few months ago and the electrics RCD keep tripping. Sometimes it will happen every few days and sometimes will be fine for a...
Replies
Views
Hi I wonder if I could get a few opinions, randomly half of my house shuts off or flickers, this included the stove, lights, fans, clocks etc...
Replies
Views
Hi all. We have a 120v 20 amp circuit to an accessory dwelling with a run of about 75' of direct bury #12. The breaker keeps tripping even when...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Looking for help here as I've come across a strange call-out today. Bare with me here: Got a call from a customer saying they had...
Replies
Views
I try to keep out of Domestic work but I have a problem at home. Currently I have a wylex fuse board with re-wire fuses. they are great because...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock