Search the forum,

Discuss Kevin please change careers before killing someone in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

looks like i'm on catch up. had 2 beers, 3rd awaits the bottle opener.

...does that "Kevin" guy work near Leeds aswell..?? had similar problem, drove 2 hours early Sunday morning to get greeted by fireworks display and burning smells...! should be reported asap even if family friend...

Echoes, echoes. When I watched these as a young lad, my Dad would say 'turn that racket off!' These days they look more like my Mum & Dad. Life's cruel over time;

Guitar God
Guitar God
Guitar God
Guitar God

it's some of this i want played at my funeral. son has been instructed.

...does that "Kevin" guy work near Leeds aswell..?? had similar problem, drove 2 hours early Sunday morning to get greeted by fireworks display and burning smells...! should be reported asap even if family friend...
I'm thinking the thread went just slightly off topic for a minute then... Marmite, Dave gilmore vids? wtf, lmao! :laughing:

Sorry biggal5, you were saying he should be reported? Not sure who to or who would care. My understanding is a competency scheme (not that he will belong to one) would require the customer to complain then they have to allow him to return to rectify it. We all know scheme providers aren't going to throw away paying members. Building control? They prob wouldn't do anything cos of lack of paperwork. Trading standards? Let's face it if trading standards were any use half the companies in the country would be out of business...
I say we start up our own Electrical vigilante group. We'll be like Kick---- and we can call ourselves something like :bomb::knife:Flash-men:gun::skull:? Who's in?? (and who can think of a better name? one that doesn't make us sound like we're only dressed in macs standing on street corners..)

I'm thinking the thread went just slightly off topic for a minute then... Marmite, Dave gilmore vids? wtf, lmao! :laughing:

Sorry biggal5, you were saying he should be reported? Not sure who to or who would care. My understanding is a competency scheme (not that he will belong to one) would require the customer to complain then they have to allow him to return to rectify it. We all know scheme providers aren't going to throw away paying members. Building control? They prob wouldn't do anything cos of lack of paperwork. Trading standards? Let's face it if trading standards were any use half the companies in the country would be out of business...
I say we start up our own Electrical vigilante group. We'll be like Kick---- and we can call ourselves something like :bomb::knife:Flash-men:gun::skull:? Who's in?? (and who can think of a better name? one that doesn't make us sound like we're only dressed in macs standing on street corners..)
yeah, but,no but. just for a treat for all, turn up the vol. chill.still be kevins about for us to take the pi$$ out of tomorrow.:

Yep. Years ago H&S wasn't even a consideration, not so nowadays. Think the pendulum has now swung too far in the opposite direction.

According to the CDM 2015, I now have to complete a risk assessment when I go to Mrs Miggins house (doing a lot of work there recently?) to change her light bulbs (lamps to some). Madness I tell you, madness :eek:

Would not like to meet you on site, CDM is now revised, its 2017, anyone who does not keep up with legislation is as bad as the electrician in the OP's post, prior to 2017 a private residence did not come under the CDM legislation unless the work involved over five contractors or was to last over thirty days.

Incidentally the Health and Safety at work act is dated 1954 are you going back before that with you comment of it not being a consideration or just that you never considered it?

For your information you have to carry out a Hazard Analysis before you document a Risk Assessment.

Without knowing the correct process you are putting your client and any company you work for in direct contravention of the law and open to prosecution it may seem clever to poo poo this, but when you have to stand up in court and answer a prosecuting Barristers questions you want feel so smart.

Would not like to meet you on site, CDM is now revised, its 2017, anyone who does not keep up with legislation is as bad as the electrician in the OP's post, prior to 2017 a private residence did not come under the CDM legislation unless the work involved over five contractors or was to last over thirty days.

Incidentally the Health and Safety at work act is dated 1954 are you going back before that with you comment of it not being a consideration or just that you never considered it?

For your information you have to carry out a Hazard Analysis before you document a Risk Assessment.

Without knowing the correct process you are putting your client and any company you work for in direct contravention of the law and open to prosecution it may seem clever to poo poo this, but when you have to stand up in court and answer a prosecuting Barristers questions you want feel so smart.

Oh dear me,it seems they infiltrate into all our pastimes as well

Yes I remember the days when the young were not put in danger by being overly protected by the H+S obsession that pervades our lives;)
It is apparent these days that the young rely too much on others for their well being and safety
It has left them with not enough awareness of the dangers that life throws at us,they are now so ill prepared for looking after themselves.
The evidence for my statement can be found in experience,my experience :(

Actually the Construction (Design & Management) Regulations came into force in 2015, replacing CDM 2007. The reason I concerned myself with it then, was because (amongst other things)the exemption for domestic clients, was removed in 2015 . Have you not been keeping up with legislation, since 2015 then? The only reference I can find about 2017, is a survey suggesting that CDM 2015 was failing to take root, but if you have further information, please share.

Don't worry yourself Michael, I have a handy little app called CDM Wizard, that I downloaded from the CITB web site way back in 2015, which of course I religiously complete every time, before entering Mrs Miggans house, for example. It does it all for me, to make sure I comply with current such legislation. Do you not have this application?

Lastly, I'll never poo poo, a pooh pooher, can get you in all sorts of poo poo;

No I haven't and don't, I retired in 2010 and only had a passing brief of checking over the 2015 revisions before they where finalised, CDM has failed to take route since its inception, the Planning Supervisor was a nonsense name driven by the Government not the industry, Clients and designers have never taken on their responsibilities in the correct manner that was indicated by the first issue of EU 54 and the subsequent regs, too many trades still have a worrying "Elf and Safety" attitude and use it as an excuse rather than a tool, how many times have you heard the expression "Its not me mate its Elf and Safety"

CDM should be a byword of "Could Do More" not "Cadburys Dairy Milk", but its good indication of the British work force's attitude.

But when you compare me with the 'electrician' discussed about in this thread, you could try & get your facts correct first.

I do take H&S quite seriously, as a sole trader, my life depends on it. I worked in various employments, and realise its importance. In one such role, we had to endure 2o minutes of a safety brief, before carrying out the training. It was stating the obvious over & over again, every time we went training.

One trainer reduced the safety brief to one sentence, 'Don't ---- about'. ;)

i just went on that citb website and tried to download it. it told me i did not have a device. then said go to google play store, whatever that is, then looped back to you don't have a device.

... citb website ...... it told me i did not have a device. then said go to google play store..then looped,
What were you using a PC/Android tablet -or a phone ... Play-store is mostly about Phones -- Some features are missing from tablets though they are Android .!
(occasionally software is OLD , so doesnt like new kit)

Well done and hats off to the OP for saving someone’s life and property.
I did the site managers course in 2016 in prep for a job installing 3 miles of under ground cabling. Turned up on site with my guys had the site induction handed over copies of all method statements, risk assessments. Then walked the trench routes with site manager and spent 1 hour arguing with him that his site didn’t conform to his obligation under CDM for the safety or well being of my guys on his site. Then went back to his office and went through my risk and method statements and asked him to provide me with his trench reports that my guys would be working in. Where are your shuttering rams? If you don’t have them why are your trenches not graded back to avoid collapse? Where are you safe ingress and egress points along trench runs? Why are your trenches not partially filled back to correct depth where main sewers run deeper than 1m? Where are your bump stops to restrict site traffic from encroaching within 2M of excavations? The list went on lol.
We ended up agreeing that whilst any person/s were working in the trenches all site traffic in that area had to stop immediately someone had to be watching from site platform vantage point with an air horn, before anyone entered the trenches a thorough inspection was to be carried out and the relevant forms filled out with a copy handed to supervisor in charge of my guys. My name was mud but I wouldn’t dream of putting my guys in a situation that I would not be happy to do myself. I would rather risk losing the job and financial payment than ever have to go to someone’s house and tell their loved ones there had been an accident that could have and should have been avoided and because it wasn’t managed correctly someone got injured or worse.

Well done, visual inspection = Hazard analysis, hazards identified = paper work starts, carry out risk assessment, risk = high prepare method statement, clearly not carried out by the site manager, would have been interesting to see what his last Safety inspection report said. You identified the most common risk that of trench collapse, normally always associated with encroaching traffic, more power to you for your diligence and respect of your work force.

Mike

Well done, visual inspection = Hazard analysis, hazards identified = paper work starts, carry out risk assessment, risk = high prepare method statement, clearly not carried out by the site manager, would have been interesting to see what his last Safety inspection report said. You identified the most common risk that of trench collapse, normally always associated with encroaching traffic, more power to you for your diligence and respect of your work force.

Mike

What about calling me a dork and getting your facts wrong; didn't get your assessments right there, did ya :D

Edit; although some will say you did.

Reply to Kevin please change careers before killing someone in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net