Discuss LED's in Skirting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

nellyp

-
Reaction score
I've been asked to look into lighting in a customer's skirting. Now a quick look through JCC's catalogue comes up with their range of Eltino lighting which at 20mm deep seems perfect.
The only issue i can see is the transformers are built into a 3 pin plug.

The idea is to have these on a PIR so as you walk into the room there is some light.

Fused down socket under the floor boards? anybody done somthing similar?

Or is there any other shallow led's that don't use a transformer out there?

I don't personally see much wrong with fusing under the floorboards, but some may say there is an issue there with access.

I would personally cut the plug off and use an FCU instead of a plug, though, but you may have warranty issues if you worry about that sort of thing.

Ideally, I'd do an FCU above the floorboards... could you chase one in next to an existing s/o?

EDIT: ARGH I'm not reading properly today! Another way to look at it is: can you get another transformer that would be suitable? That way I'd FCU in the wall as above, then to the PIR, then cable down under the boards to transformer, then to the skirting lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't personally see much wrong with fusing under the floorboards, but some may say there is an issue there with access.

I would personally cut the plug off and use an FCU instead of a plug, though, but you may have warranty issues if you worry about that sort of thing.

Ideally, I'd do an FCU above the floorboards... could you chase one in next to an existing s/o?

EDIT: ARGH I'm not reading properly today! Another way to look at it is: can you get another transformer that would be suitable?

As Rocker says but imho i would'nt fuse under the floorboards as if laminate flooring is ever put inplace the fuse spur will be lost so could the unswitched fuse spur not be placed in a cupboard?

There are loads of LED Drivers on the market, just make sure you get one with the following;

1. Correct power rating
2. Check if it is Constant current (Will be in mA usually 350mA or 700mA) or Constant voltage (Usually 12v but might be 24V).

They are mostly 'in-line' like transformers.

Did a load of these in a kitchen a few weeks ago and ran a feed from the lighting circuit to a switch, then the switched feed down to a dedicated single socket outlet behind the plinth and plugged the transformer into that. By the way, I got the LED kits from Seal Designs for a lot less than I expected they would cost.

Did a load of these in a kitchen a few weeks ago and ran a feed from the lighting circuit to a switch, then the switched feed down to a dedicated single socket outlet behind the plinth and plugged the transformer into that. By the way, I got the LED kits from Seal Designs for a lot less than I expected they would cost.

This was my first idea but i have no where nearby to hide the socket.

I've since found these on Aurora's website which look perfect for the job.

Aurora - Category List - 'passionate about lighting'

Ignore the price i've found them for a third of that price using google.

Thanks for all the responses, a great help.

A couple of other options are,
1/ fit the plug in transformer into a socket, in a cupboard, or put one in a cupboard, and wire to the lights in twin cable. 2.2mm cable allows for low voltage..
2/ fit a spur adjacent to a local socket, then drill a hole into the wall, 50-72 mm to slide a transformer / driver in, just like a recessed light then blank plate

Reply to LED's in Skirting in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net