Discuss looking for best step / cone cutter for using on 18th edition consumer units in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all, i,m looking for recommendations on a reliable tough step /cone cutter for using on 18th edition boards ?, i'm sick of hole saws rattling round and making a mess , your guidance would be greatly appreciated ! cheers fellow sparky's.

I use cheap "titanium coated" ones for general jobs. Decent ones are about the £50+ mark. I find the cheap ones do a good enough job.

What size are you after and for which job ? I can't think the last time I used one on a domestic consumer unit.

I use cheap "titanium coated" ones for general jobs. Decent ones are about the £50+ mark. I find the cheap ones do a good enough job.

What size are you after and for which job ? I can't think the last time I used one on a domestic consumer unit.
customer supplied their own garage consumer unit, ( AXIOM ) is it ?, that only had 2x 20mm knockouts top and bottom, so had to drill out for a 32mm gland for the tails but hole saws don't give a clean hole when using on the metal and just rattle round after a few seconds, so think it's time for me to try the alternative option , just don't want one that burns out after drilling half a hole , ha , we've all been there and got the T shirt for that one ,

No idea about the step drills as not tried any yet.

I have a couple of Q-max hole punches (20mm, 25mm, 32.5mm, 51mm) that make a good job when you already have a hole.

Otherwise the Armeg "Acceler8%" drill & hole saw for 20mm really impressed me with how clean it cut when starting with a punch mark or pilot hole (but no good fir an existing hole above its pilot drill). Also useful for the pilot for the bolt used by the hole punches.

Hi all, i,m looking for recommendations on a reliable tough step /cone cutter for using on 18th edition boards ?, i'm sick of hole saws rattling round and making a mess , your guidance would be greatly appreciated ! cheers fellow sparky's.
I have had many from £80 a pop to cheapo from lidl.

The weakness they all seem to suffer from is the initial penetration, once they lose their initial hardness getting them started can be laborious. Once the whole starts to open up then swift and tidy progress can be made.

I'd be looking at punches if I did that much work to warrant the expense. (I have a 20mm and a 25mm). for now i'll just stick with hole saws for anything bigger.
[automerge]1595524222[/automerge]
I have had many from £80 a pop to cheapo from lidl.

The weakness they all seem to suffer from is the initial penetration, once they lose their initial hardness getting them started can be laborious. Once the whole starts to open up then swift and tidy progress can be made.
i drill a 5mm or 6mm hole with a HSS bit first. makes it easier and less wear on the cone cutter.

I'd be looking at punches if I did that much work to warrant the expense. (I have a 20mm and a 25mm). for now i'll just stick with hole saws for anything bigger.
[automerge]1595524222[/automerge]

i drill a 5mm or 6mm hole with a HSS bit first. makes it easier and less wear on the cone cutter.
I try but seem to lose small HSS bits.

my HSS bits live in the bottom of my combi drilll box. never lost but hard to find.

For smaller holes armeg accelr8 holesaws.
For enlarging I use the armeg step cone bit... Does good job.
For larger holes just bought a lovely bosch set... They eat through metal sheet and trunking

I've got a set of cheapo step drills from small stuff to bigger stuff (25-32-40), managed to file the stem down enough to fit in my drill now, happy days, just need to go slow with it. Didn't want to but needs must ?

I'm with the hole punch brigade on this. Used a 20mm on a metal shed the other day and it was so easy, no drama, took less than 1 minute, and the "slug" will make a useful washer for something...

Reply to looking for best step / cone cutter for using on 18th edition consumer units in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net