Discuss LV over volts amd realistic upper voltage limit from the DNO? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

UKMeterman

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi,
I have just moved into a house where the voltage measured on my Megger PDA1 and a RMS volt meter is often 255V or more and has sometimes reached 261 overnight. The PDA1 had also reported a large number of HF noise events of about 2volts for several mins at a time. There have been a couple of surges up to 260V. Supply is TT I am next to the HV transformer and there is a very long LV main fed from this transformer. How should I approach this with the DNO, and what would be a sensiable upper limit, I do know the letter of the law is 253 volts.

Thanks

You need to show that the tolerances and time intervals in BS 50160 are being broken and to this effect, you'll probably need a power quality report set against the paramaters of BS 50160.

About 65% of our power quality reports show a good deal of overvoltage and it's very difficult to get the DNO to take action.

Here are the parameters:

Attachments

• EN 50160.doc
    61.1 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks for the link, I couldn't open it but I also found the same information here, Looks like I need to get a few days reports from the PDA1 and see what period it is at 254V. I may also give the DNO a call, they recently replaced the LV transformer they may have put me on the wrong tap.

Hi,
Thanks for the link, I couldn't open it but I also found the same information here, Looks like I need to get a few days reports from the PDA1 and see what period it is at 254V. I may also give the DNO a call, they recently replaced the LV transformer they may have put me on the wrong tap.

It's possible that you're on the wrong tap but for the DNO, it's a tough balancing act to meet tolerances along the distribution circuit, that's often why they are so reluctant to drop the tap.

Well,
I called the DNO at 18:30, first fitter came out at 19:30 found the volts was 256, measured voltage localy and was found to be high, decided to LV backfeed supply and disconnect local transformer, all done by 22:00. They are going to test the local transformer and probably drop the local tap 12%. If they can see a real problem they can act!

Well,
I called the DNO at 18:30, first fitter came out at 19:30 found the volts was 256, measured voltage localy and was found to be high, decided to LV backfeed supply and disconnect local transformer, all done by 22:00. They are going to test the local transformer and probably drop the local tap 12%. If they can see a real problem they can act!

Nice one, good result!

I suspect the 4 staff liked the 2hr overtime call out...

As for monitoring kit I use a PDA1, I have in the past also used a NEMO 96 energy meter. For most uses I would suggest the Fluke 43 B or similar.

Last edited:

Reply to LV over volts amd realistic upper voltage limit from the DNO? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net