Discuss Over Voltage as SolarEdge SE3500 Error Code 33 Trips out frequently. 253v / 264v ? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sja

Esteemed forum Members,

I had a 4kW Solar PV system installed in Dec ‘13 and since Feb and on an increasing basis with improving sunshine, I’ve seen my SolarEdge SE3500 invertor trip out showing Error Code 33, AC Over Voltage. I don’t know how accurate the device is but I can see on the Inverter faceplate LCD and on the SE Monitoring Portal that my local grid voltage is quite high (nearly always above 245v often in range 250-253v – sometimes spiking over). I can’t see many other solar installation near me but there is a DNO transformer down the other end of my street.

I see these trips multiple times a day – it looks like it might be occurring at 251v, 252v or 253v – and sometime my inverter is held hard-down for periods of up to 45 mins. I’m a bit worried that it is going to damage something in my new installation and of course it is impacting my production (and investment!) I can see there are similar posts on this forum but in trying to figure out how I will get to a resolution I’m trying to get a deeper understanding of the following points :

I will approach my DNO next week, UK Power Networks – is it likely that they can ‘fix’ my local supply so it is more in line with the UK harmonised standard of 230v? (Is it technically feasible that they could ‘fix’ issue possibly by ‘tapping’ the local sub-station transformer or doing something else?) If they are agreeable, how long might this fix take to implement?

Alternatively I see some references to G.83 or G.83/1 / G.83/2; what are these exactly? I’ve seen that BS 7671 Appendix 2 section 14. : The UK supply 230 V +10% - 6% ; translates as 216.2v to 253v. But I’ve also seen people refer to an upper voltage limit of 264v, often in relation to G.83/? Is it reasonable for me to ask UK Power Networks to allow me to have my installer re-configure my Inverter to trip at 264v? Either on a temporary basis while the DNO rectify the supply – or permanently if for any reason they are un-willing to do so? Do our UK standards allow them to grant that permission and any views on the likely outcome of my ask?

My installer has suggested that fitting a ‘Voltage Optimiser’ on my supply would give a good and probably the quickest resolution. While I remain open minded about this as a solution, at the moment I’m not convinced it is the correct resolution. Any views? I can see it will present my Inverter with a lower AC voltage, but what happens in the other direction when I am exporting? Will I be driving grid voltage >253v? Will the device actually allow export? Are these devices efficient and safe?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Over Voltage as SolarEdge SE3500 Error Code 33 Trips out frequently. 253v / 264v

Voltage optimiser will not help as it would be fitted house side of the inverter and therefor would not effect it.

Re: Over Voltage as SolarEdge SE3500 Error Code 33 Trips out frequently. 253v / 264v

what is the length of the cable run, and what size cable is it?

You want a minimum of 6mm2 on a 4kWp system, particularly so if the inverter is in the loft, some companies are installing using 2.5mm2 cable due to being run by idiots, and that will exacerbate any over voltage issues as the losses in the cable will push the voltage up at the inveter, more so the more the inverter is outputting. Your description would make me think this is the likely problem, as you're saying it's getting worse with more sunshine, which seems to indicate the problem is at your end not the grid (unless there are a lot of other solar systems connected to the same transformer).

If your installer suggested that a VO unit might help then I'd also question the AC cable size used - do you know, and what the length of the run is?
now it looks like I was just copying your post....

If the installation isn't satisfactory I think it should be your installer who should be chasing the dno no? Providing the volt drop of the circuit is within the manufacturers recommendations there shouldn't be much of an issue with getting an alteration to the supply voltage. If your installers are friendly with the local network it should be altered pretty swiftly.

Over Voltage as SolarEdge SE3500 Error Code 33 Trips out frequently. 253v / 264v

I forgot to mention in my original post that my inverter is in the garage right next to the consumer unit. There is a short run of AC cable into the unit; I'm not sure if it's 6mm2 but it's less than 1m in length. I doubt there's much voltage drop over it but it might be worth checking. (I am assuming the cable that Gavin A refers to is the AC cable and not the DC? My DC from loft to garage is anyway 6mm2)

Regarding Gary K's post about the Voltage Optimiser not working - can anyone explain the technical reason why and also the difference in the device's situation on the 'house side' (of the consumer unit? the electricity meter?) and other places it could be situated?

Thanks for your replies so far.

Can you post a picture of the inverter & consumer unit in the garage?

Regarding Gary K's post about the Voltage Optimiser not working - can anyone explain the technical reason why and also the difference in the device's situation on the 'house side' (of the consumer unit? the electricity meter?) and other places it could be situated?

If you read any VO installation manual (see a couple of examples below) you will see that the manufacturers' instructions are for any on-site generation, such as PV, to only be connected on the grid side of the VO unit.

http://www.allecoenergy.co.uk/newsl..._Updates/VPhase/VPhase_Instruction_Manual.pdf on pages 13-14 which also suggests that it might be contrary to G83 to connect PV to the load side of a VO but I am not sure that this is a correct interpretation of the regulations.

http://apexvo.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ApexVO_Manual_Version_1_0.pdf on page 7

it is contrary to G83 as the inverter would have no way of monitoring the grid voltage the other side of the VO unit, so while the voltage at the inverter would be fine, the voltage the other side of the VO unit would be say 18V higher than whatever voltage the inverter was seeing.

Yes, I understand that. But in those circumstances the inverter would only be outputing, say, 222V and I cannot see where in G83 it says this would be a problem? Perhaps there is a design issue with VO units and reverse current flow?

And possibly G83 itself needs an update to add a paragraph on VO.

Solaredge inverters can be set to UK230 or UK240 depending on the local grid voltage. They can also be updated remotely if a support ticket is raised with Solaredge Technical support.

If you're getting 245V from the mains it sounds like your inverter has been set to UK 230 and small transient spikes are tripping you off.

Contact the installer/DNO/Solaredge and see if you can have the inverter set to UK240 which will give you a bit more tolerance in the +10%/-6% range of voltages

Also as mentioned earlier, VO won't help you...

Your PV has to be connected at grid voltage i.e. 'before' any VO unit.

Issue now rectified ! :bulb2:
Thanks for folks responses. To let you know my issue was fixed when SolarEdge did a remote Software / Firmware upgrade on my SE3500 (via the Ethernet connection I suppose) I didn't get many details other than it should solve the problem which after a week of observation it apparently has. Pleased about that! I now see my supply voltage fluctuate between ~245 and 253V but it no longer causes the inverter to trip.

Reply to Over Voltage as SolarEdge SE3500 Error Code 33 Trips out frequently. 253v / 264v ? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net