Discuss Mains operated interconnected smoke alarm in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Neptune

DIY
Reaction score
I fitted these into my own house a few years ago when everything was ripped open and hence, am familiar with the process.
However, on this occasion I need to fit these into a property that I let out and I don't have access to the ceiling void on ground floor.

I was thinking about using trunking and wanted to check on what type of trunking is neat and recommended for this purpose. Also, how will this merge into the existing light pendant (standard light pendant hanging from the ceiling).

Finally, I assume that I will need to trunk to the switch and not light if that's where the permanent live is. If this is the case, how will the trunking merge into the existing light switch?

Never had to use trunking before. Thanks in advance.

First check there isn’t a live and neutral at the light... older houses, this is where it was. Neutrals at switches is a fairly new thing.

from the light, you only need a live, neutral and earth to first smoke, then a 3 core and earth in a daisy chain to each other detector in turn. Live neutral earth and interconnecting cable.

some manufacturers offer 10 yr lithium detectors with radio signal interlink, for when you don’t want to disturb decoration,
Or mains with a radio module. Or the house can be a mix of wired and wireless...

One thing you will need to be careful of is the requirement for protection against premature collapse in the recent regulations.

Plastic trunking along a ceiling or high up on a wall could be liable to collapse during a fire, and cause potential risks to the tenants getting out, or fire fighters who are dealing with the situation.

There are metal clips available that fit inside plastic trunking to support the cabling in the event of the worst. I believe best practise is to fix them not with plastic rawl plugs, but with entirely metal fittings - you may be able to get metal screws into the joists for example.

In a standard hallway you may only need one or two of the clips on a run of trunking, with other fixings being normal rawl plugs if necessary

Thanks for all the responses. Really appreciate it.
How about the trunking detail when it connects to the light pendant?

Also, is there a certain type/profile of trunking you recommend? I noted the point re. metal clips.

You can get ceiling rose adapters for mini trunking it will drop the rose a bit but gives a neat solution.
As for internal metal fixings most are designed for 25 × 16 and upwards but if using 16 × 16 there are these although I have never tried them.

Last edited:
TBF, they can all be battery and radio-linked, at least the Aico ones can. I generally used to install the hall smoke as a wired, from a light, with a 10 year battery, and the rest just 10 year battery, radio linked. No mains wired for me now...why bother?
Unless your local BC have other ideas...
Better to have something that works, IMHO.

TBF, they can all be battery and radio-linked, at least the Aico ones can. I generally used to install the hall smoke as a wired, from a light, with a 10 year battery, and the rest just 10 year battery, radio linked. No mains wired for me now...why bother?
Unless your local BC have other ideas...
Better to have something that works, IMHO.
This would be a Grade F system according to BS5839:6. You're quite correct in saying that some local building control/councils will not accept anything other than Grade D (mains interlinked).

However it should be ok in the private rented sector, as the actual legislation from October 2015 doesn't require mains OR interlinking, just smoke alarms on each floor.

Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate it.
My Local Authority has expressly stated that I need mains powered and cable interconnected smoke alarms. they do not approve the wireless system.

Once, I have confirmed the presence of permanent live in the ceiling rose I will use the trunking and clips mentioned to complete this task.

I also thought there was a "heat resistant" type 3 core and earth cable. Perhaps I should use that for the interconnect?

Thanks again

Reply to Mains operated interconnected smoke alarm in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net